Terence Morrison-Scott was educated at Eton College, Christ Church, Oxford, and the Royal College of Science. He rowed at Eton and Oxford, winning the Silver Sculls at Oxford. He graduated from the RCS in 1935 with a first class degree and then worked briefly as an assistant master at Eton (1935–36).
Morrison-Scott was appointed as an Assistant Keeper (2nd class) in Department of Zoology at the British Museum of Natural History on 1 October 1936. During World War II, he was a member of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and commanded a flotilla of tank landing craft during D-Day in Normandy, earning the Distinguished Service Cross (DCS). He was promoted to Assistant Keeper (1st class) in 1943. He became the Head of the Mammal Section in 1945 and Principal Scientific Officer in 1948. From 1956–1960, he was Director of the Science Museum. Then from 1960 he was Director British Museum of Natural History until his retirement on 30 November 1968.
He was Honorary Treasurer of the Zoological Society of London (1950–76). He was a Trustee of the Imperial War Museum (1956–60), He was a governor of the Imperial College of Science and Technology (1956–72) and was elected a Fellow in 1963. He was a Council member of the National Trust (1968–83) and a member of the Standing Commission on Museums and Galleries (1973–76). He was a Fellow of the Museums Association and was knighted for his services.
Terence Morrison-Scott married Rita Layton in 1935.
- Checklist of Palaearctic and Indian mammals 1758 to 1946 / by J.R. Ellerman and T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM (NH), 1951.
- Checklist of Palaearctic and Indian mammals 1758 to 1946 / by J.R. Ellerman and T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM (NH), 1966.
- A list of British mammals [by] T.C.S. Morrison-Scott Published London, Printed by order of the trustees of the British Museum, 1952.
- Southern African mammals, 1758–1951: a reclassification, by J. R. Ellerman, T. C. S. Morrison-Scott, and R. W. Hayman, 1909–1973 Published London: Printed by order of the trustees of the British Museum, 1953.
- Cranbrook, Scott, Sir Terence Charles Stuart Morrison– (1908–1991), Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press, September2004. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/50708
- Scott; Sir; Terence Charles Stuart Morrison (1908–1991); Knight; Zoologist, Archive Catalogue, Natural History Museum, London, UK.
- Solly Zuckerman, Sir Terence-Morrison-SCott, DSC, DSc: Treasurer 1950–1976, Journal of Zoology, Volume 228, Issue 1, pages 1–4, 1992. doi:10.1111/j.1469-7998.1992.tb04428.x
- Directorship of the Science Museum, London: Dr. T. C. S. Morrison-Scott. Nature, Volume 177, pages 1061–1062, 9 June 1956. doi:10.1038/1771061b0
- Fellows and Honorary Graduates of Imperial College, Imperial College, London, UK.
Dr F. Sherwood Taylor
|Director of the Science Museum
Sir David Follett
|Director of the British Museum of Natural History