Official Parliamentary portrait, June 2017
|Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government|
7 October 2016 – 14 June 2017
|Preceded by||Grahame Morris|
|Succeeded by||Roberta Blackman-Woods|
|Member of Parliament|
for Erith and Thamesmead
|Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||John Austin|
|Born||1 February 1955|
Southport, Lancashire, England
Teresa Pearce (born 1 February 1955) is a British Labour Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Erith and Thamesmead since 2010, who was appointed as a Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning in September 2015. In the reshuffle of October 2016, Pearce was appointed as acting Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, standing down after the 2017 general election to concentrate on her constituency.
Teresa Pearce was born in Southport, Lancashire, but was educated at the St Thomas More School in Eltham, London. For ten years prior to her election, she was a senior manager with PricewaterhouseCoopers. She is a former Bexley councillor.
Pearce was elected to the House of Commons as Member of Parliament for Erith and Thamesmead in the 2010 general election with a majority of 5,703. In her maiden speech she stated her pride in the Labour Party's track record on Sure Start, the future jobs fund and the national minimum wage.
In Parliament, Pearce served on a number of Select Committees between 2010 and 2015, sitting on both the Work and Pensions Select Committee (2010–2015) and the Treasury Select Committee (2011–2015). Pearce also shortly served on the Public Accounts Committee (2015) before she was appointed to serve as Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning in September 2015. She was appointed as the Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government in the October 2016 reshuffle, but it was announced she intends to stand down from the post after the May 2017 local elections.
- "Teresa Pearce MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "No. 59418". The London Gazette. 13 May 2010. p. 8735.
- Chakelian, Anoosh (18 September 2015). "Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet: the full list of ministers". New Statesman. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Staff writer (7 October 2016). "Shadow Cabinet line-up in full". LabourList. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Staff writer. "Teresa Pearce (Labour Party) – PPC for Erith and Thamesmead". YourNextMP. Archived from the original on 26 April 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Kite, Melissa (18 April 2009). "Labour ballot box tampering row deepens". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Staff writer (7 May 2010). "Erith & Thamesmead". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Teresa Pearce, Member of Parliament for Erith and Thamesmead (10 June 2010). "Tackling Poverty in the UK". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). 511. United Kingdom: House of Commons. col. 531–534.
- Staff writer (8 May 2015). "Election 2015: Erith & Thamesmead parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Archived from the original on 8 May 2015. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "Teresa Pearce MP". parliament.uk. UK Parliament. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- Asthana, Anushka (2 April 2017). "Teresa Pearce to step down as shadow communities secretary". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- Staff writer (9 June 2017). "Election 2015: Erith & Thamesmead parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Archived from the original on 17 August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- Moorhead, Joanna (10 January 2015). "We're glad we chose to be mothers in our teens". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Teresa Pearce website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Erith and Thamesmead
| Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
| Shadow Minister for the Constitutional Convention|