February 6, 1993 |
|Alma mater||Gering High School
Scottsbluff High School
Patrick Henry College
|Title||Miss Southeast 2010
Miss Nebraska 2010
Miss America 2011
Miss Nebraska World 2015
Teresa Michelle Scanlan (born February 6, 1993) is an American beauty pageant titleholder from Gering, Nebraska who was named Miss Nebraska 2010, subsequently winning Miss America 2011 and becoming the youngest Miss America since Bette Cooper in 1937.
Scanlan was home-schooled until her junior year of high school, before attending Gering High School part-time for half of her junior year. She graduated early from Scottsbluff High School in the spring of 2010 after taking a double load of classes throughout high school. Teresa was named a Salutatorian for the Scottsbluff class of 2010. While at Scottsbluff High School, she played the lead role Sharpay Evans in Disney's High School Musical Onstage. She also participated in choir, show choir, and speech. In 2012, she enrolled as a student at Patrick Henry College.
In her spare time, Teresa enjoys singing, acting, dancing, playing piano and guitar, composing songs, baking, participating in activities with her local church, and making clothes out of duct tape, among many other hobbies.
Miss Nebraska 2010
She won the title of Miss Nebraska on June 5, 2010, when she received her crown from outgoing titleholder Brittany Jeffers. Scanlan’s platform is “Eating Disorders: A Generation at Risk.” Scanlan’s passion to combat eating disorders stems from a friend who struggled with bulimia. Scanlan did research about eating disorders for her friend and discovered how rampant it was across the nation. She hopes to educate children and adults alike as to the signs and risks of eating disorders, as well as how and where to get help for themselves or a loved one. Her competition talent was piano. At 17 years of age, she is the youngest Miss Nebraska ever crowned. After winning the title of Miss Nebraska, Scanlan announced that she was taking a year off from school to fulfill her duties as Miss Nebraska, and that she had deferred enrollment to Patrick Henry College until the fall of 2011.
Miss America 2011
Scanlan was Nebraska's representative at the Miss America 2011 competition held in Las Vegas, Nevada in January 2011. Her platform for the national pageant was "Eating Disorders: A Generation at Risk."
In the preliminary competition, Scanlan won the talent portion and a $2,000 scholarship for her piano performance of "White Water Chop Sticks."
Scanlan beat out first runner-up Miss Arkansas 2010, Alyse Eady, for the title of Miss America 2011 and was crowned by Miss America 2010 Caressa Cameron on January 15, 2011. With this win she became the first Miss Nebraska ever to claim the Miss America title, as well as the youngest winner in 74 years. Along with the title of Miss America, she also won a $50,000 scholarship. Furthermore, Scanlan was the first titleholder from Nebraska to win Miss America, Miss USA, or Miss Teen USA.
Miss World America 2015
Scanlan was a Nebraska's representative in Miss World America 2015 and placed first runner up behind Miss Arizona World, Victoria Mendoza.
- "Teresa Scanlan: Miss Nebraska2010". Teresa Scanlan - via - Facebook. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- American Experience: Miss America
- "At 17, Teresa Scanlan shows that Miss America can be kid’s stuff". Las Vegas Sun. January 16, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Najmlađa Miss Amerike Teresa Scanlan porijeklom je Hrvatica" (in Croatian). Novi list. 2010-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Najmlađa Najmlađa Miss Amerike ima hrvatske korijene" (in Croatian). Večernji list. 2010-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Gering's Teresa Scanlan youngest Miss Nebraska at age 17". KNEB. June 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- Simakis, Andrea (June 11, 2011). "Teresa Scanlan, Miss America 2011 and duct-tape fan, is celeb judge for Avon festival: Pop Diva". The Plain Dealer.
- "Gering lady named Miss Nebraska". North Platte Bulletin. June 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- "Gering teenager crowned Miss Nebraska". Gering Courier. June 10, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- "Miss Nebraska 2010!". Teresa's Travels and Tidbits. June 9, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- She's just 17! Nebraskan wins Miss America pageant
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Teresa Scanlan.|
|Awards and achievements|