|Queen regnant of Huahine and Mai’ao
Queen and Regent of Tahiti
Painting by Ambroise Tardieu, c. 1826
|Died||1858 (aged 67–68)
|House||House of Tamatoa
House of Pōmare
Teri'itaria II, alson known as Pōmare Vahine or Ari'ipaea Vahine (1790–1858) was a Queen of Tahiti as wife of Pōmare II. She also served as regent to his successor Pōmare III in 1820-1827, and ruled the island kingdom of Huahine in her own right from 1815 until 1852.
Birth and family
Teri'itaria was born around 1790.
Regent of Tahiti
After the death of her spouse in 1820, her infant stepson Pomare III succeeded him as king of Tahiti. Being a minor, he was placed under a regency council consisting of her, his mother and the five principal chiefs of Thaiti. The regency council remained in power until the death of the young monarch in 1827.
Ruler of Huahine
She was deposed in a civil war and her successor was King Ari'imate.
|Ancestors of Teriitaria II|
- Henry Soszynski. "HM Queen Teri'itaria II Ari'ipaia". web page on "Rootsweb". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Family Search Community Trees. "Teriitaria or Ariipaea-vahine, queen". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Christopher Buyers Page 2. "Raiatea: The Ari'i-Maro-'Ura Dynasty Genealogy". Royal Ark web site. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Christopher Buyers Page 3. "Tahiti: The Pomare Dynasty Genealogy". Royal Ark web site. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- William Ellis, Jolibois, Société de Géographie de Lyon (1833). Polynesian Researches, During a Residence of Nearly Eight Years in the Society and Sandwich Islands (2 ed.). Fischer son and Jackson. pp. 143–144.
- Christopher Buyers. "Huahine: The Ari'i-Maro-'Ura Dynasty Genealogy". Royal Ark web site. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- HUAHINE Par Jean-Francois BARE. Nouvelles Editions Latines.
Teriitaria IIBorn: 1790 Died: 1858
|Queen of Huahine
|This royalty-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|