Terje Tvedt (born 24 August 1951) is a Norwegian academic, author and documentary film maker.
Tvedt is presently a professor at the Department of Geography, University of Bergen, and Professor in Global History, University of Oslo, Norway. He has previously been a professor of political science and development studies.
Tvedt has published extensively on world history and water, colonial history and the international development aid system. He has also written on the Norwegian modern history of ideas with an emphasis on dominant worldviews in the era of development aid. His books on Norwegian history has created very much discussions and public interest in Norway. He has received several awards for his research, as The Fritt Ord Prize, and the Norwegian Research Council's prize for excellence in communication of science. His books have been translated into a number of languages, as Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, German, Serbian, Swedish, and Ukraine.
Tvedt has written and presented a number of award-winning TV-documenaries shown all over the world. 'A Journey in the History of Water'. This film won the first prize as the best environmental documentary in the world in 1998, see, The Future of Water, and The Nile Quest deal with world history and water. His other documentaries deal with development aid and the international aid system (in Norwegian). The films have been bought by networks like National Geographic, Discovery, Al Jazeera, Al Arabyya, Documentary channel and Netflix. See the YouTube channel on Water and World History.
Selected non-Norwegian book titles:
- Tvedt, Terje, The Nile. History's Greatest River, London: IB Tauris/Bloomsbury, 2021.
- Tvedt, Terje, Water and Society. Changing Perspectives of Societal and Historical Development. London: IB Tauris/Bloomsbury, 2021.
- Tvedt, Terje. Der Nil. Fluss der Geschichte, Berlin: Links, 2021
- Tvedt, Terje, Series Editor, A History of Water, (12 volumes, 3 series) London: IB Tauris, 2006-2016).
- Tvedt, Terje and Terje Oestigaard, T. (eds). A History of Water: Series III : Vol. III: ''Water and Food – From hunter-gatherers to global production in Africa. (Series Editor, Terje Tvedt), London: IB Tauris. (ISBN 978-1780768717). 2016.
- Tvedt, Terje, O. McIntyre, and T.K. Woldetsadik, T. K. (eds). A History of Water: Series III : Vol. II: Sovereignty and International Water Law. (Series Editor Terje Tvedt), London: IB Tauris (ISBN 9781780764481)., 2015.
- Tvedt, Terje and Terje Oestigaard, T. (eds.) A History of Water: Series III : Vol. I: Water and Urbanization. (Series Editor, Terje Tvedt), London: IB Tauris (ISBN 978 1 78076 447 4), 2014
- Tvedt, Terje, A Journey in the Future of Water. I.B. Tauris, London/New York.2016.
- Tvedt, Terje, G. Chapman and R. Hagen (eds). A History of Water: Series II : Vol III: Water, Geopolitics and the New World Order. (Series Editor Terje Tvedt), London: I.B. Tauris (ISBN 9781848853515). 2011.
- Tvedt, Terje and R. Coopey (eds.) (A History of Water: Series II : Vol. II: Rivers and Society: From early Civilizations to Modern Times. (Series Editor Terje Tvedt), London: Tauris. (ISBN 978-1-84885-350-8). 2011.
- Tvedt, Terje and T Oestigaard, (eds.) (2010). A History of Water: Series II : Vol. I: Ideas of Water From Ancient Societies to the Modern World. (Series Editor Terje Tvedt), London: I.B. Tauris 2010 (ISBN 978-1-84511-980-5). 2011.
- Tvedt, Terje (ed), The River Nile in the post-colonial Age: conflict and cooperation among the Nile Basin countries. London: IB Tauris (ISBN 978-1-84511-970-6). 2010.
- Opku-Mensah, Paul, David Lewis and Terje Tvedt (eds). Reconceptualising NGOs and their roles in Development: NGOs, Civil Society and the International Aid System. Aalborg: Aalborg Universitetsforlag. (ISBN 978-877307799-3). 2007.
- Tvedt, Terje and Terje Østigård (Red): A History of Water: Series I : Vol. III: The World of Water. (Series editor Terje Tvedt), London: Tauris (ISBN 1-85043-447-6). 2006.
- Tvedt, Terje, The River Nile in the Age of the British. Political Ecology and the Quest for Economic Power. Cairo: The American University in Cairo Press (ISBN 9774160460). (Re-published in paperback version in 2017, New York: Macmillan, London: IB. Tauris).
- Coopey, Richard and Terje Tvedt (eds) A History of Water: series I: Vol. II: The Political Economy of Water. (Series editor Terje Tvedt), London: Tauris. (ISBN 1850434468). 2006.
- Tvedt, Terje and E. Jakobsson (eds).A History of Water: series I: Vol. I: Water Control and River Biographies. (Series editor Terje Tvedt), London: Tauris (ISBN 185043445X), 2006.
- Tvedt, Terje, The River Nile in the Age of the British. Political Ecology and the Quest for Economic Power. London: Tauris. (ISBN 1-86064-835-5). (Translated into, and published in Arabic, Cairo 2018).
- Tvedt, Terje, The River Nile: An annotated bibliography. (2nd edition), London: IB Tauris. (ISBN 1860648797), 2004.
- Tvedt, Terje et al. Southern Sudan: An Annotated Bibliography (2 Vols.), London: Tauris (ISBN 1860649378). 2004.
- Tvedt, Terje, Angels of Mercy or Development Diplomats? NGOs & Aid. Oxford: James Currey Publishers (ISBN 0-85255-817-1). 1998.
- Sharif Harir and Terje Tvedt (eds). A short cut to decay: the case of the Sudan. Uppsala: Nordiske Afrikainstituttet, (ISBN 91-7106-346-3) (Republished in Arabic, Cairo 1996). 1994.
- Tvedt, Terje, (ed.) Conflicts in the Horn of Africa: human and ecological consequences of warfare (red). . Uppsala: EPOS, (ISBN 91-506-0972-6).1993.
Selected documentaries include:
- 2014: The Nile Quest, 3 episodes, (Norwegian Broadcasting Cooperation/Panopticon
- 2013: The Good Bombs", NRK Brennpunkt
- 2010: A Drop of Luxury", TV 2, Dokument 2
- 2007: The Future of Water, 3 episodes, TV2/Panopticon
- 1997: A Journey in the History of Water, 4 episodes, Nowegain Broadcasting Cooperation
This article has an unclear citation style.November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
- https://tvedt.w.uib.no/. Tvedts homepage University of Bergen,
- Tvedt's publication, see https://wo.cristin.no/as/WebObjects/cristin.woa/14/wa/personVis?type=PERSON&bruker=gsutt&la=en&instnr=184
- "The Fritt Ord Prize". Fritt Ord.
- "Former winners of the award for Excellence in Communication of Science". www.forskningsradet.no.
- 17th Festival International du Film d´Environment, Paris
- Review of A Journey in the Future of Water: Nathanial Matthews (2014), International Affairs, JSTOR 24538531
- Review of An Annotated Bibliography on the Southern Sudan: Richard Gray (2002), J. African Hist., JSTOR 4100630; Mark Leopold (2003), African Affairs, JSTOR 3518407
- Reviews of Angels of Mercy or Development Diplomats?: Jonathan Derrick (1999), J. Modern African Studies, JSTOR 161909; Adam Habib (2003), Voluntas, JSTOR 27927830
- Reviews of Conflicts in the Horn of Africa: Reidulf K. Molvœr (1994), J. Peace Research, JSTOR 425404; James Quirin (1997), Int. J. African Historical Studies, doi:10.2307/221411; JSTOR 221411
- The film is available here, Amazon Prime, https://www.amazon.com/The-Nile-Quest/dp/B07W58T6D9
- The film is avilable here, NRK, https://tv.nrk.no/serie/brennpunkt/2013/MDUP11000513
- The film is available here, Amazon.Prime,https://www.amazon.com/The-Future-of-Water/dp/B07N14YWSP
- The film is available here, Tvedts YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCsTjcLEqZErWXnPPZuaDiK8nMeRXOBZ2