|Subsidiary of ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc.|
|Founded||Memphis, Tennessee, U.S. (1927)|
|Headquarters||Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Services||Termite & Pest control|
|Revenue||$1.45 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
|Parent||ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc.|
Terminix International Company, L.P. is one of the largest pest control companies in the world, operating in 47 states in the United States and 22 countries around the world. It is a subsidiary of ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc.
In 1927, E. L. Bruce, owner of the E. L. Bruce Company in Memphis, Tennessee, wanted to find a way to protect the hardwood floors they manufactured from damage by termites and founded the Bruce Terminix Research Laboratory. In 1932, senior chemist Frank Lyons created the first termiticide, an insecticide specifically designed to kill termites. The company began to franchise under the name Bruce Terminix. In 1955, Terminix was the first company to offer a termite protection contract, with annual inspections and a guarantee. In 1957, franchisees began offering residential and commercial pest control services.
In 1968, the E. L. Bruce Company, including Bruce Terminix, was sold to Cook Industries. The company began looking to expand its business both inside and outside of the United States and purchased a pest control company in Mexico. Terminix partnered with Sears, Roebuck and Company to offer pest control services under the Sears Termite and Pest Control name. In 1972, the company changed their name to Terminix International to highlight their expanded operations.
ServiceMaster, a global holding company, purchased Terminix from Cook Industries in 1986. It continued to acquire pest control companies, including former franchisees, to become the largest pest control company in the world by 1990. The company expanded into Europe in 1994 with the acquisition of Peter Cox PLC, a pest-control and wood-preservation business in Britain. In 2001, Terminix purchased its former partner, Sears Termite and Pest Control. In 2007, ServiceMaster moved its main offices from Downers Grove, Illinois to the site of Terminix's headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee.
Over the first three months of 2009, Terminix acquired nine pest management companies across seven states. In December 2012, Terminix closed six acquisitions adding over $10 million in revenue. In 2013, Terminix acquired two Canadian pest control companies, Magical Pest Control, based in Toronto, and Vancouver-based Care Pest & Wildlife Control. During the first five months of 2014, Terminix acquired eight pest and wildlife control companies in ten states. Terminix's parent company, ServiceMaster, held its IPO in June 2014. In November 2015, Terminix acquired the Utah-based company, Alterra Pest Control.
Terminix released the environmentally safe mosquito bait Attractive Targeted Sugar Bait in 2014. The garlic oil makes mosquitoes sick and kills 90 percent of the mosquitoes within three weeks. The company also produces AllClear mosquito repellant, which is an all natural mix of essential oils.
In May 2008, termite inspectors in California sued ServiceMaster and its Terminix unit for failure to pay overtime, rest breaks, and other work-required expenses. Terminix held that termite inspectors were outside sales employees. In June 2011, the U.S. District Court held that termite inspections are not sales activities. The case was filed as a class action, and class action case was denied, while Individual claims were allowed.
In March 2016, Terminix settled with the United States Department of Justice over illegal use of banned pesticides in the United States Virgin Islands and the poisoning of a family vacationing there. The family of four was poisoned when the unit below their rented villa was fumigated with the highly toxic methyl bromide, which has been banned from indoor use in the United States since 1984.
In popular culture
In 2010, Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim claimed at Comic-Con that they had partnered with Terminix for an upcoming release of their movie "Blues Brothers 2012". In this film, the Blues Brothers would take the roles of Terminix technicians.
In June 2015, Terminix provided Attractive Targeted Sugar Bait around the clubhouse and golf course of TPC Southwind for the FedEx St. Jude Classic tournament. That same month, Terminix released "Mosquitonado," a movie trailer parody during National Mosquito Control Awareness Week. The trailer featured Sharknado star Tara Reid.
- David Young (September 1, 1994). "Servicemaster Acquires Pest-control Firm In Britain". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Joel McNeece (April 17, 2013). "Sifting through history". Calhoun County Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- James Dowd (April 8, 2012). "For president of Terminix, 'it's all about the culture'". The Commercial Appeal Memphis. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Terminix Finishes Q1 With Nine Acquisitions". The Principium Group. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Ed Arnold (January 23, 2013). "Terminix closes year with six acquisitions in five states". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Michael Sheffield (September 25, 2014). "Terminix goes Canadian with acquisition". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Michael Sheffield (May 22, 2014). "Terminix acquires eight companies in five months". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Michael Sheffield (August 4, 2015). "ServiceMaster brands ignite growth in second quarter". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Terminix, Merry Maid parent serves up IPO". STL Today. June 26, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Michael Sheffield (November 12, 2015). "Local company continues to expand with latest bug buy". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Aon, Global Excess Partners, Terminix Partner to Deal with Bed Bugs". Insurance Journal. June 13, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- John Tozzi (May 19, 2014). "Terminix's New Mosquito Killer? Garlic Oil". Bloomberg. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Karel Holloway (June 12, 2014). "Environmentally friendly mosquito control available in Texas". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "New Sugar-Based Mosquito Repellent Is Safe For The Environment And People". Huffington Post. May 5, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Pablo et al. v. ServiceMaster Global (Terminix), CASE NO. 3:08-cv-03894-SI(U.S. Dist. Ct. N. Dist. CA(filed May 31, 2008).
- 29 U.S.C. 213(a)(1). See generally Allan J. Schwartz, Who is employed in "capacity of outside salesman" within the meaning of 13(a)(1) of Fair Labor Standards Act (29 U.S.C.A. 213(a)(1)), as amended.
- Pablo v.ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc., No. C 08-03894 SI, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 64969,(N.D. Cal., June 20, 2011, supra.
- AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion, No. 09-893, SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, 131 S. Ct. 1740; 179 L. Ed. 2d 742; 2011 U.S. LEXIS 3367; 161 Lab. Cas. (CCH) P10,368; 22 Fla. L. Weekly Fed. S 957; 52 Comm. Reg. (P & F) 1179,(April 27, 2011).
- Pablo et al., supra.
- See Am. Pipe & Constr. Co. v. Utah, No. 72-1195, SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, 414 U.S. 538; 94 S. Ct. 756; 38 L. Ed. 2d 713; 1974 U.S. LEXIS 42;(January 16, 1974).
- Shoichet, Catherine; Ganim, Sara (2016-03-30). "Terminix fined $10 million; pesticide poisoned family in Virgin Islands". CNN. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- Clio Awards archive
- Thomas Schatz (2004). Hollywood: Cultural dimensions: ideology, identity and cultural industry studies. Taylor & Francis.
- Ohanesian, Liz (August 2, 2010). "Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim Say They're Remaking 'The Blues Brothers' with Terminix's Help". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Michael Sheffield (June 9, 2015). "Terminix taking down mosquitoes at FedEx St. Jude Classic". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "What's Scarier Than a Sharknado? A 'Mosquitonado,' Says Terminix". AdWeek. June 26, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Dan Solomon (June 25, 2015). "Terminix Mocks The Mockbusters With 'Mosquitonado' Parody Trailer". Fast Company. Retrieved November 12, 2015.