|Genres||Folk, Indie folk, Rock, Alternative Rock|
|Labels||Island Records, Universal Music Publishing|
Terra Naomi is an indie folk singer-songwriter, who rose to fame through a performance of her song "Say It's Possible" on the video sharing site YouTube. Originally from New York State, but currently based in Los Angeles, she writes and performs her own songs, and plays the guitar and piano.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Classical beginnings
- 3 Change in direction
- 4 Tours and notable performances
- 5 Record Label
- 6 New Album 2018
- 7 Discography
- 8 Songs in other media
- 9 Awards and nominations
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 Further reading
- 13 External links
Naomi was born in Saratoga Springs, New York and raised on a farm for the first couple of years of her life. The family then moved to Cleveland, Ohio where they lived for six years before finally settling in upstate New York, from where her father, a plastic surgeon, originated. Her mother is a social worker. Naomi has one older brother and one younger brother.
Naomi studied classical piano and voice, attending Interlochen Performing Arts Camp in Michigan and Belvoir Terrace Summer Camp in Lenox, Massachusetts. Teachers convinced her to pursue a degree in opera from The University of Michigan. During this time, Naomi also participated in the Aspen Opera Theater Program.
Change in direction
Naomi moved to New York City after college and began writing songs. During this time, she also started playing guitar. She played at various clubs in Manhattan, including The Bitter End, The Sidewalk Cafe and The Living Room. Following a tour of the US in 2003, which started in New York and ended at the Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle, she moved to Los Angeles to work with the producer Paul Fox (XTC, 10,000 Maniacs, Sixpence None the Richer, Edwin McCain, Phish, The Sugarcubes).
Naomi has come to prominence in the international YouTube community where she broadcast her own "virtual" summer tour during 2006. The program included live performances from her apartment in Hollywood and question-answer sessions entitled "Ask a Wanna-be Rockstar". Her song, "Say It's Possible", filmed in Terra's Hollywood apartment, recorded on a Sony Handycam, appeared on YouTube in June 2006, causing an instant explosion of interest. "Say It's Possible" has inspired adoring fans to post hundreds of personal "YouTube covers" in a wide range of styles. This includes versions from countries in South America, North America and Europe. Fans have also translated and performed the song into Spanish, Italian and Mandarin Chinese and one used a sock puppet. In March 2007, she received one of the inaugural YouTube Video Awards in the music video category for "Say It's Possible", earning her appearances on NBC's The Today Show and CBS' The Early Show, as well as coverage on several international news programs.
In fall 2006, Naomi was signed to a publishing deal with Universal Music Publishing Group. This was followed in January 2007 by the announcement that she had been also signed to the major record label, Island Records.
After releasing Under the Influence, Naomi left Island Records. She released her new album, To Know I'm Ok, independently in June 2011. It was funded through fans via Pledgemusic, an "international Direct-to-Fan platform for raising funds".
Tours and notable performances
Naomi headlined national tours in the United States in 2003, 2004, and 2005, which included dates at the Chicago House of Blues, NYC's Irving Plaza, The Trocadero in Philadelphia, The Abbey in Chicago, The Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas and The Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles and has also performed shows in Canada and the United Kingdom. Shows in the United Kingdom included an appearance at the In The City festival in Manchester . She has also opened for Tyler Hilton, Michael Bolton, Jay Brannan, The Fray, Martha Wainwright and Natasha Bedingfield.
In 2007, after being personally invited by Al Gore, Naomi performed "Say It's Possible" at the UK leg of Live Earth at Wembley Stadium in London. Later that year, YouTube Russia was launched and Naomi was invited to perform and help launch it.
In November 2009, Naomi began a two-week tour of India playing shows in Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi culminating with a headlining performance at the Mercy Corps Say It's Possible Climate Change Concert in Srinagar, Kashmir. This tour was sponsored by American Center, Levi Strauss & Co. India, Fabindia and Mercy Corps. Naomi's Indian tour was immediately followed by two weeks in Italy playing shows in Fabriano, Perugia, Rome, Imola, Bologna, Rimini, Monte Castello Di Vibio and Montesilvano. During her stay in Italy she also recorded a duet with Italian superstar Elisa.
In early July 2010, Naomi performed at Lilith Fair's San Francisco show after winning a competition sponsored by OurStage.com. In August, she toured Italy again, playing in Rimini, Milano, Padova, Montepulciano and Castiglione del Lago.
In June 2011, Naomi performed the inaugural show for the Haus of Hipstamatic Unplugged Summer Sessions in San Francisco. The event was the first in a series of unplugged sessions featuring other singer-songwriters such as Michelle Branch and was hosted by Hipstamatic at their office space in SoMa. The music video for "You For Me" also debuted at the event, which is archived on Ustream. A video for "I'll Be Waiting" was also shot.
In January, February and March 2012, she toured Europe, doing more than 30 concerts. The European countries she toured include UK, Italy, France, Germany and Switzerland.
Naomi published an essay in 2015 called "How Signing A Major Record Deal Nearly Destroyed My Music Career" in Digital Music News. The article told the detailed story of Naomi's experience at Universal Island Records.
New Album 2018
"Machine Age" Single
Naomi released "Machine Age," the first single from the album, via Bandcamp on January 19, 2018. It was described as both a "protest song" by INTO magazine and a "peaceful plea" by Broadway World. Billboard called the song "A poignant reflection on Trump's first year in office", Jubilant wrote "'Machine Age,' by singer-songwriter Terra Naomi may be the first truly great song to come at the expense of the world's collective sanity", Women In Rock wrote "Terra Naomi is the voice that all women need right now", and the song was also reviewed in Popdust, INTO, LA Music Blog, Adobe and Teardrops, TheARTofLA, Hear Queer, Talkhouse, and Teal.
"Nothing To Hide" Single
Naomi released "Nothing To Hide" the first single from the album, via Bandcamp on March 9, 2018. The song premiered on Popdust and was reviewed in INTO, Jubilant, Emerging Indie Bands, We Love That Sound, Niche Music, Indie Folk Central, and When The Horn Blows. The "Nothing To Hide" video was directed by Jeff Shipman, and features black and white footage of Naomi singing in a barn.
- Terra Naomi (2002)
- Virtually (2006)
- Under the Influence (2007)
- To Know I'm OK (2011)
- Live & Unplugged (2012)
- Live & Free (2004)
- Terra Naomi (2004)
- 8-Track (2005)
- Go Quietly (2009) 
- You For Me (2009)
- Machine Age (2018)
- Nothing To Hide (2018)
|UK Airplay||UK Sales|
|2007||"Say It's Possible"||-||-||Under the Influence|
These songs have been released on albums that were not a studio album released by Naomi.
|2005||"Ghosts of Happy Endings"||Interlude Magazine: Compilation 1.0|
|2006||"Flesh for Bones"||Coffee House Music 2006 Female Artists|
|2007||"The Moment"||Because I Said So OST|
|"Flesh for Bones"||The Word: Now Hear This! (July 2007)|
|2010||"Billie Jean"||MJ Acoustic Covers - Tribute to Michael|
|2011||"Nobody Knows You Anymore"||Super OST|
Songs in other media
|2006||American Idol||TV series episode: "Chicago Auditions"||"Up Here"|
|Junior Year Abroad||Web series||"Flesh for Bones"|
|"Say It's Possible"|
|Because I Said So||Film||"The Moment"|
|2007||Diamonds in the Rough||Film documentary||"Babuzze Lwaki?" (with Bataka Squad)|
|"Diamonds in the Rough"(with Saba Saba & Okai)|
|Private Practice||TV series episode: "In Which Sam Gets Taken for a Ride"||"Say It's Possible"|
|2009||PG Porn||Web series episode: "Squeal Happy Whores"||"Song for a Squeal Happy Whore"|
|2011||Life in a Day||Film promos||"Close To Your Head"|
|Super||Film||"Nobody Knows You Anymore"|
|2012||Coldwater Creek Mother's Day||Commercial||"You For Me"|
|2018||So You Think You Can Dance||TV series episode||"Less Talk More Art"|
Awards and nominations
|2007||YouTube Awards||"Say It's Possible"||Music Video of the Year||Won|
|2010||Lilith Local Talent Search||Terra Naomi||San Francisco||Won|
|2011||Billboard Song Contest||"I'll Be Waiting"||Best Pop Song||Won|
- Heawood, Sophie (2007-09-08). "The unlikely life of Terra Naomi". The Times. London. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17.
- "No 79: Terra Naomi". The Guardian. London. 2007-04-10.
- "YouTube singing sensations". Archived from the original on 2013-11-05.
- Канал користувача ytawards07 - YouTube
- "YouTube killed the MTV star". Salon.com. June 26, 2006. Archived from the original on July 3, 2006.
- Verrico, Lisa (2006-11-19). "Me and you and everyone we don't know". The Times. London. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- Herstand, Ari How Signing A Major Record Deal Nearly Destroyed My Music Career Digital Music News. September 14, 2015
- Singer/songwriter Terra Naomi Partners With Pledge Music To Create New Album @ Top40-Charts.com - Songs & Videos from 49 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 30 Countries
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070612092141/http://www.terranaomi.com/tour.php?id=archive. Archived from the original on June 12, 2007. Retrieved February 18, 2016. Missing or empty
- http://www.tylerhilton.com/blog/tylerhilton/tour-end-back-la. Retrieved June 18, 2010. Missing or empty
- Michael Bolton | ValleyFirstTix.com
- Jay Brannan + Terra Naomi Tickets at Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco, CA - Zvents
- Natasha Bedingfield - West Hollywood - Troubadour - 17 November 2010 | Songkick
- terra naomi « The Utube Blog
- Terra Naomi: To Know I'm OK released 21st June Archived 2009-11-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Lilith Local Talent Search Winners Announcement for San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland and Seattle! | OurStage
- Terra Naomi streaming live at the Haus of Hipstamatic
- "How Signing a Major Record Deal Nearly Destroyed My Career". Digital Music News. 2015-09-09. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Terra Naomi's New Album!". Indiegogo. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Terra Naomi's New Protest Song Inspired Her To Love In The Face of Trump-Induced Hate". INTO. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Desk, BWW News. "Terra Naomi Releases Peaceful Plea 'Machine Age' via Bandcamp". Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Gay Agenda, Jan. 22: Oprah Winfrey Network Star Ruba Gets Steamy With 'Havana' Video Lead; Plus Cub Sport, Terra Naomi & More". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "New Protest Music and Terra Naomi's "Machine Age"". Jubilant. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- ""Machine Age" by Terra Naomi". Women in Rock. 2018-01-21. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "#WCW | Terra Naomi Interview". Popdust. 2018-02-14. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Terra Naomi on her new single "Machine Age" | LA Music Blog". lamusicblog.com. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Interview with Terra Naomi | tHeARTofla". tHeARTofla. 2018-01-18. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "How Bigotry Redefines Love". Talkhouse. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Interview with Terra Naomi: Discussing America's Current State and Her New Single, Machine Age". Teal Magazine | FILM & PRINT: MUSIC, ART, BEAUTY & CULTURE. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Nothing To Hide Single, by Terra Naomi". Terra Naomi. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "RELEASE RADAR | Premieres from Ryan Innes and Ladychild". Popdust. 2018-03-09. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Terra Naomi Debuts 'Nothing To Hide'". INTO. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Breaking: Terra Naomi - Nothing to Hide". Jubilant. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Terra Naomi | Emerging Indie Bands". Emerging Indie Bands. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Terra Naomi - Nothing To Hide - We love that". We love that (in German). 2018-03-09. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "LAフォークシンガー Terra Naomi、新曲 'Nothing To Hide'を公開 – Niche Music" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Terra Naomi - Nothing To Hide, retrieved 2018-03-19
- "Single Review: Terra Naomi - 'Nothing To Hide'". www.whenthehornblows.com. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
-  Archived June 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Virtually by Terra Naomi : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music
- Terra Naomi EP - Terra Naomi - tunesBag Online Music/MP3 Storage
- 8-Track (Explicit) | Terra Naomi Album | Yahoo! Music
- Terra Naomi | PledgeMusic
- Chart Log UK: Nadanuf - Michael Nyman
- VA - Now Hear This! The Word Magazine 2007
- MJ Acoustic Covers -Tribute to Michael- R.I.P (1958-2009) V.A. [CD]
- American Idol Episode 1 - Chicago Auditions - Review | American Idol 2011 Review
- on YouTube
- Terra Naomi | 901am
- on YouTube
- 1 on 1 with Krazy Native aka Saba Saba, Slowly Conquering the USA
- on YouTube.
- at Soprupradio.com
- on YouTube
- Terra Naomi - IMDb
- Cinedigm Digital Cinema, YouTube, and National Geographic Bring Fans the Ultimate User-Generated Theatrical Event, Featuring Hipstamatic and Terra Naomi
- SUPER! | Terra Naomi: Singer Songwriter in LA Archived 2011-03-15 at the Wayback Machine
- YouTube presents awards to its first stars
- Lilith Local Talent Search Winners Announcement for San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland and Seattle!
- Heawood, S (2007-09-08). "The unlikely life of Terra Naomi". London: The Times. Retrieved 2007-09-08.
- Verrico, L (2007-09-25). "Terra Naomi". Live reviews. London: The Times. Retrieved 2007-09-24.
- I Like Music interview with Terra Naomi 2007 - ilikemusic.com
- Terra Naomi winning an online video award
- Non-Official French Website of Terra Naomi
- Terra Naomi collection at the Internet Archive's live music archive
- Sunday Times Article