Terra Nova High School (California)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2011)|
|Terra Nova High School|
|1450 Terra Nova Boulevard
Pacifica, California 94044
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Jefferson Union High School District.|
|Number of students||1,249|
|Rival||Half Moon Bay High School|
Terra Nova High School was established in 1961 to serve the growing population in the Linda Mar district of southern Pacifica. Students attended from Vallemar, Rockaway Beach, Mori Point, Fairway, Sharp Park and Pacific Manor districts until Oceana High School was completed the following year.
The original buildings and campus were designed by Mark Falk & Corwin Booth (of Falk & Booth). The main building originally had only two stories when the school opened in 1961. Portables were added to the rear of the school campus to accommodate the increase in students and need for more classrooms. A major facilities remodel was completed in 1998, and construction of a 400+ seat theater and a new science building began in early 2010.
|White||Hispanic||Asian||Filipino||African American||Pacific Islander||American Indian||Two or More Races|
Terra Nova offers Advanced Placement courses in US History, European History, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, US Government, Language and Composition, Literature, Studio Art, Music Theory, and Calculus AB.
Terra Nova has an award-winning marching band, which won 1st place in their division at the Foothill Band Review in 2007 and again in 2009. The marching band also received the Sweepstakes award at the 2008 and 2009 Fog Fests Terra Nova's student-run newspaper is the Terra Nova Times and has also won awards from the Peninsula Press Club. Terra Nova has had a team on the Bay Area's Quiz Kids show since the show's debut. Terra Nova offers a wide variety of sports, including football, baseball, cheer leading, badminton, cross country, tennis, track and field, water polo, swimming, soccer, basketball, volleyball, and wrestling, and numerous teams go to CCS and PAL championships yearly. The 1982 football team had a final ranking of 3rd in the state of California for Division 3 football. The team ended with an 11-1 record. Baseball has sent several player's to the Majors, Greg Reynolds. Keith Hernandez (1st Base, Golden Glove many time, All Stars and hitting champ for several years) and Bob McClure (pitcher) also made it to the Majors in Baseball. Keith grew up in Linda Mar until the 10th grade. He attended Terra Nova as a freshman, graduating from nearby Capuchino High School in San Bruno in 1971. Bob attended Terra Nova all 4 years, graduating in 1970.
In addition to sports, the drama department performs both a spring and fall production.
- Keith Hernandez, attended during his freshman year in 1967-1968 but transferred to nearby Capuchino High School for the remainder of his high school years. Major League Baseball first baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets.
- Bob McClure, Class of 1970. Major League Baseball relief pitcher for seven teams, most prominently the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Rob Schneider, Class of 1982. Actor, Comedian, Screenwriter
- Mike Lockwood, Class of 1989. Professional Wrestler
- Bobby Stack. Class of 2002 Professional MMA fighter, a fighter for Strikeforce in the 155 pound weight class
- Greg Reynolds, Class of 2003. the Colorado Rockies No. 1 draft choice in 2006 (Major League Baseball), and Rockies starting pitcher in the 2008 season.
- Dan Kenny, Class of 2003. Bassist of World touring metal band Suicide Silence
- Terra Nova High School website
- Terra Nova High School Sports Page
- JUHSD website
- Great Schools profile