Terra Nova High School (California)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Terra Nova High School|
|1450 Terra Nova Boulevard
Pacifica, California 94044
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Jefferson Union High School District|
|Number of students||1,079|
|Rival||Half Moon Bay High School|
Terra Nova High School was established in 1961 to serve the growing population in the Linda Mar district of southern Pacifica. Students attended from Vallemar, Rockaway Beach, Mori Point, Fairway, Sharp Park and Pacific Manor districts until Oceana High School was completed the following year.
The original buildings and campus were designed by Mark Falk & Corwin Booth (of Falk & Booth). The main building originally had only two stories when the school opened in 1961. Portables were added to the rear of the school campus to accommodate the increase in students and need for more classrooms. A major facilities remodel was completed in 1998, and construction of a 400+ seat theater and a new science building began in early 2010.
|White||Latino||Asian||African American||Pacific Islander||American Indian||Two or More Races|
According to US News and World Report, 62% of Terra Nova's student body is "of color," with 17% of the student body coming from an economically disadvantaged household, determined by student eligibility for California's Reduced-price meal program. 
Terra Nova offers Advanced Placement courses in US History, European History, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, US Government, Language and Composition, Literature, Studio Art, Music Theory, and Calculus AB.
In 2011, Terra Nova scored an API of 801, the 6th highest in San Mateo County. By 2013, the last year on record, the school had scored 792, the second highest in the Jefferson Union school district. 
|SAT Scores for 2013–2014 |
|Critical Reading Average||Math Average||Writing Average|
|Terra Nova High School||538||553||524|
|Jefferson Union District||503||536||500|
|San Mateo County||546||576||548|
Terra Nova has an award-winning marching band, which won first place in their division at the Foothill Band Review in 2007 and 2009. The marching band received the Sweepstakes award at the 2008 and 2009 Fog Fests. The Terra Nova drama department also performs spring and fall productions, often produced in conjunction with directors from the local theatre company, the Pacifica Spindrift Players.
The school's student-run newspaper is the Terra Nova Times and has won awards from the Peninsula Press Club. Terra Nova has had a team on the Bay Area's Quiz Kids show since the show's debut.
Terra Nova also offers a wide variety of sports, including football, baseball, cheer leading, badminton, cross country, tennis, track and field, water polo, swimming, soccer, basketball, volleyball, and wrestling. Numerous teams go to CCS and PAL championships yearly. The 1982 football team had a final ranking of third in the state of California for Division 3 football. The team ended with an 11-1 record.
Baseball has sent several players to the Majors, including Greg Reynolds, Bob McClure, and Keith Hernandez (11-time 1st Base Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner, Major League Baseball All-Star Game player, and hitting champ for several years).
Reynolds was born and raised in Pacifica, drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies out of Terra Nova in the 41st round of the 2003 MLB Draft, but instead decided to attend Stanford University. He was then selected by the Colorado Rockies as the second overall selection in the first round of the 2006 MLB Draft. Hernandez grew up in Linda Mar until the 10th grade; he attended Terra Nova as a freshman, graduating from nearby Capuchino High School in San Bruno in 1971. McClure was born in Oakland, California and later moved to Pacifica, attending Terra Nova all four years and graduating in 1970.
- Keith Hernandez, attended during his freshman year in 1967-1968 but transferred to nearby Capuchino High School for the remainder of his high school years. Major League Baseball first baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets.
- Bob McClure, Class of 1970. Major League Baseball relief pitcher for seven teams, most prominently the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Rob Schneider, Class of 1982. Actor, Comedian, Screenwriter
- Mike Lockwood, Class of 1989. Professional Wrestler
- Bobby Stack. Class of 2002 Professional MMA fighter, a fighter for Strikeforce in the 155 pound weight class
- Greg Reynolds, Class of 2003. the Colorado Rockies No. 1 draft choice in 2006 (Major League Baseball), and Rockies starting pitcher in the 2008 season.
- Dan Kenny, Class of 2003. Bassist of World touring metal band Suicide Silence
- "SAT Report - District Level Scores". California Department of Education. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- Royals' coach McClure pride of County baseball, Oakland Tribune, August 22, 2007. "McClure and Hernandez played together at Terra Nova High before Hernandez transferred to Capuchino."
- Terra Nova High School website
- Terra Nova High School Sports Page
- JUHSD website
- Great Schools profile
- Terra Nova Robotics