Terradyne Armored Vehicles Gurkha
|Type||Tactical Armored Vehicle|
|Place of origin||Canada|
|Used by||See Operators|
|Manufacturer||Terradyne Armored Vehicles|
|Variants||LAPV, MPV, RPV|
|Weight||8.6 t (18,959.75 lb)|
|Length||5.6 m (220.47 in)|
|Width||2.16 m (85.04 in)|
|Height||2.5 m (98.43 in)|
|Optional gun turret|
|Engine||6.7L V8 Turbo diesel
390 HP/750 lb-ft torque
|Ground clearance||355 mm (13.98 in) (ground to bottom of rear differential case)|
|Fuel capacity||40 gallons|
|Speed||150 km (93.21 mi)|
The Terradyne Armored Vehicles Gurkha is an armored military and law enforcement vehicle built by Ontario-based Terradyne Armored Vehicles Inc. who now own all global rights to this product. This 4×4 light armored patrol vehicle is currently produced in three tactical configurations (LAPV/MPV/RPV), each of which employs the Ford F550 chassis. They both employ Ford's in-house built 6.7L Power Stroke V8 diesel engine and six-speed automatic transmission.
- LAPV (Light Armored Patrol Vehicle)
Application: Border patrol/law enforcement/government agencies/private security/tactical medic vehicle
- MPV (Multi-purpose Patrol Vehicle)
Application: Purpose built for law enforcement and related government agencies only. SWAT/SRT/ETF/ERT/rescue vehicle
- RPV (Rapid Patrol Vehicle)
Application: Critical infrastructure protection/law enforcement/government agencies/military/border patrol
- RPV Civilian Edition (civilian)
Application: Company PR vehicle/daily driver/rolling panic room/executive protection/offroad vehicle/hobby vehicle
The GURKHA vehicle is in use in the following regions:
- Bruce Power: Nuclear Response Team
- Calgary Police Service: Tactical Unit—Balkan MK7 
- Halton Regional Police Service: Tactical Rescue Unit
- Hamilton Police Service: Emergency Response Unit
- Peel Regional Police: Tactical & Rescue Unit—Gurkha with Patriot 3 MARS (Mobile Adjustable Ramp System)
- Toronto Police Service: Emergency Task Force—Trooper
- Winnipeg Police Service: Tactical Support Team
- Jamaica Constabulary Force: Special Operations Unit
- Fuerza Civil: Nuevo León State Police, known as Fuerza Civil (Civil Force)
- Fuerza Civil: Veracruz (Civil Force)
- Guadalupe SSP
- GROMS Policia Saltillo: Grupo de Reacción Operativa, known as GROMS in Saltillo
- Singapore Police Force: Special Operations Command
- Arlington County Police Department: S.W.A.T.
- Roanoke County Police Department Va: S.W.A.T.
- Waukesha County Sheriff's Department
- Spikes Tactical: RPV Civilian Edition
In popular culture
The Gurkha appeared in the 2011 film Fast Five and the getaway car in the Monte Carlo chase in the 2012 animation film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted. The vehicle was also used in the second season of Arrow, a television show based on the DC comics character Green Arrow. Rockstar Games has used some elements and design of the SUV in Grand Theft Auto Online for an Armored vehicle named the HVY Insurgent and HVY Insurgent Pick-Up. and also featured in racing games Forza Horizon 2 Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6 as a part of Fast & Furious Car Pack DLC.
- "Syrian militias get more U.S. support for IS fight, plan new phase". Reuters. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Mutlu Civiroglu". Twitter. Retrieved 1 February 2017 – via Twitter.
- "Trump administration sends armored vehicles to Syrian rebels". RT. RT International. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "SDF received the Canadian made Gurkha LAPF armored vehicle, will directly participate in Raqqa assault.". ISIS - ISIL map, map of war in Syria, Iraq, Libya - Daesh map - Mosul operation - isis.liveuamap.com. Retrieved 31 January 2017.