A terrapin is one of several small species of turtle living in fresh or brackish water. Terrapins do not form a taxonomic unit, and may not be very closely related, although many belong to the families Geoemydidae and Emydidae. A distinction between turtle and terrapin does not exist in other European languages. The name "terrapin" is derived from the Algonquian word torope, used for Malaclemys terrapin. In the UK, red-eared sliders are known as red-eared terrapins.
Turtle species with "terrapin" in their common names include:
- Diamondback terrapin or just "terrapin" Malaclemys terrapin, a turtle of the Emydidae family, native to the US
- European pond terrapin or European pond turtle, Emys orbicularis, a turtle in the family Emydidae found in southern Europe, West Asia and parts of North Africa
- Mexican spotted terrapin or Mexican spotted wood turtle Rhinoclemmys rubida, a species of turtle in the family Geoemydidae, endemic to Mexico
- Painted terrapin Batagur borneoensis, a turtle in the Geoemydidae family native to Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand
- Northern river terrapin Batagur baska, a critically endangered turtle in the Geoemydidae family native to Cambodia
- Southern river terrapin Batagur affinis, a turtle in the Geoemydidae family native to Cambodia
- Smiling terrapin or Black marsh turtle, Siebenrockiella crassicollis, a turtle in the Geoemydidae family native to Southeast Asia
- Seychelles black terrapin Pelusios seychellensis, an extinct species of turtle in the Pelomedusidae family that was endemic to Seychelles
- Serrated hinged terrapin Pelusios sinuatus is a species of turtle in the Pelomedusidae family found in southern Africa
- Striped-neck terrapin or Caspian turtle Mauremys caspica, a turtle in the family Geoemydidae (Bataguridae), native to the eastern Mediterranean region
- Bengal eyed terrapin, Burmese eyed turtle or Burmese peacock turtle Morenia ocellata, a turtle in the family Geoemydidae found in Burma and possibly Yunnan, China
- Indian pond terrapin or Indian black turtle Melanochelys trijuga, a turtle in the family Geoemydidae found in South Asia
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.