Terre Haute South Vigo High School
|Terre Haute South Vigo High School|
3737 South 7th Street|
Terre Haute, Indiana 47802
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Vigo County School Corporation|
|Teaching staff||99.54 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.70|
|Athletics conference||Conference Indiana|
|Rivals||Terre Haute North Vigo High School|
Terre Haute South Vigo High School is a public high school located in Terre Haute, Indiana. As the name implies, the school's district covers the southern portion of Terre Haute, as well as most of southern Vigo County, the county in which Terre Haute is located.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
It was first constructed in 1971 along with Terre Haute North Vigo High School. It is located near the northern edge of Honey Creek Township at 7th and Davis streets. Most of the school is one story. It contains Terre Haute's only planetarium, the Allen Memorial Planetarium.
Terre Haute South Vigo High is a consolidation of Terre Haute William H. Wiley High School (1912-1971) and Honey Creek High School (1926-1971). Honey Creek was involved in earlier consolidations as Blackhawk High (1919–71), Pimento High (1919–61), Prairie Creek High (1917–61), Prairieton High (1924–27) were consolidated into Honey Creek. Wiley itself was the second high school in Terre Haute, opening in 1912. After its founding, North added students from Terre Haute State High (a 'laboratory school' for Indiana State University) in 1978. The 'lab school' continued to educate elementary students through 1992.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,861 students enrolled in 2014-2015 was:
- Male - 53.0%
- Female - 47.0%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.2%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 4.0%
- Black - 6.4%
- Hispanic - 3.3%
- White - 78.6%
- Multiracial - 7.5%
THS has won a state championship in girls tennis (2001) and in girls basketball (2002).
- Armon Bassett, basketball player
- Cam Cameron, football coach
- Jose Pablo Cantillo, actor
- Brian Evans, NBA forward
- Tony McGee, NFL tight end
- A. J. Reed, baseball player
- Jill Bolte Taylor, neuroanatomist
- Danny Etling, NFL quarterback
Wiley High School alumni
- Junius Bibbs, Negro league infielder
- P. Pete Chalos, longest serving mayor of Terre Haute
- Ray S. Cline, CIA official
- Norman Cottom, NBA basketball player and later, head basketball coach at Wiley
- Ernest R. Davidson, chemistry professor
- William King Harvey, CIA officer
- Martin David Jenkins, pioneer in educational psychology
- Alvy Moore, actor
- Abe Silverstein, NASA engineer
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Terre Haute South Vigo High School". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- IHSAA. "IHSAA State Championships by School". www.ihsaa.org. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Amey, Andy (April 28, 2018). "Terre Haute's Danny Etling drafted by New England Patriots". The Herald-Tribune.