|Location||1300 FM 655
Rosharon, Texas 77583
|Security class||G1-G3, Outside Trusty|
|Capacity||Unit: 1,389 Trusty Camp: 214|
|Managed by||TDCJ Correctional Institutions Division|
|Warden||Jacqueline Jones, Assistant Warden Eric Miller|
The Charles T. Terrell Unit is a Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison located in unincorporated Brazoria County, Texas. The facility is located on Farm to Market Road 655, 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Farm to Market Road 521. The prison, has about 16,369 acres (6,624 ha) of land, is co-located with Ramsey Unit and Stringfellow Unit. The prison is in Rosharon, and about 35 miles (56 km) south of Houston.
The prison opened in September 1983. The Terrell Unit was originally the Ramsey III Unit. After the previous Terrell Unit (now the Polunsky Unit) in West Livingston, Texas began to receive death row inmates, the facility's namesake, a Dallas insurance executive named Charles Terrell, wanted his name off of the prison; as a result his name was transferred to another prison. The Texas Board of Criminal Justice voted to rename the Ramsey III Unit on July 20, 2001.
In 2008 a state investigation began in regards to accusations that a cabal of prison guards is organizing large scale smuggling of goods into the unit. A prison guard at the unit sent a complaint to Jerry Madden, a member of the Texas House of Representatives, saying that corruption was occurring at the unit. TDCJ investigators searched the entire unit. After the investigation on the matter, Anthony Collins, the senior warden, lost his job. TDCJ investigators searched the entire prison to find evidence of corruption. The Texas Senate ordered prison officials to testify in a hearing related to the incident.
- "Terrell Unit Archived 2010-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on May 9, 2010.
- Staff and Wire Reports. "Parts of Houston join evacuation." Houston Chronicle. September 21, 2005. Retrieved on May 10, 2010.
- "Rapper Pimp C released from prison" (). KTRK-TV. Friday December 20, 2005. Retrieved on November 19, 2010.
- "West Livingston CDP, Texas Archived 2011-06-06 at the Wayback Machine.." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 9, 2010.
- Timms, Ed. "Uneasy about death row, Terrell wants name off unit Prison expected to be renamed." The Dallas Morning News. July 14, 2001. Retrieved on May 9, 2010. "Another prison the Ramsey III unit in Brazoria County probably will be renamed for Mr Terrell"
- "Ramsey III Unit." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. August 23, 2000. Retrieved on May 9, 2010.
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Turner Publishing Company, 2004. 103. ISBN 1-56311-964-1, ISBN 978-1-56311-964-4.
- "Have Corrupt Officers Taken Over Local Prison?" (Archive). KPRC-TV. Thursday May 1, 2008. Updated on May 2, 2008. Retrieved on September 28, 2011.
- "Local 2 Investigates Charges Of Prison Corruption" (Archive). KPRC-TV. Friday May 2, 2008. Updated on May 3, 2008. Retrieved on September 28, 2011.
- "Prison On Lockdown After Local 2 Investigation" (Archive). KHOU-TV. Wednesday May 7, 2008. Retrieved on September 28, 2011.
- "Prison Warden Removed Following Local 2 Investigation" (Archive). KPRC-TV. Tuesday May 6, 2008. Updated May 6, 2008. Retrieved on September 28, 2011.
- Dean, Stephen and Brian Sasser. "Texas Senate Calls Hearings Over Prison Corruption."[dead link] KPRC-TV. 2008. Retrieved on September 28, 2011.