|Member of the Australian Parliament
8 February 2014
|Preceded by||Kevin Rudd|
|Born||Terri Megan Butler
28 November 1977
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
|Political party||Australian Labor Party|
|Alma mater||University of Queensland
Queensland University of Technology
James Cook University
|Profession||Workplace Relations Lawyer|
|Portfolio||Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition
Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Child Safety and Prevention of Family Violence
Terri Megan Butler (born 28 November 1977) is an Australian industrial lawyer, politician and member for the Division of Griffith in the Australian House of Representatives. She was preselected to represent the Australian Labor Party in the 2014 Griffith by-election triggered by the resignation of former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. She won the seat with a 51.8 (−1.2) percent two-party vote against Liberal National Party candidate Bill Glasson. Prior to the by-election, she was an industrial lawyer for the firm Maurice Blackburn.
During September 2015, Butler sparked controversy when she opposed anti-abortion activist Troy Newman from entering Australia. Butler wrote to Immigration Minister Peter Dutton and requested he ask his Department to consider cancellation of Newman's visa. It was revoked. Newman, after flying to Australia without a visa, was deported after losing a High Court appeal.
In July 2015, Butler along with Labor colleague Laurie Ferguson, Liberal MPs Warren Entsch and Teresa Gambaro, independents Andrew Wilkie and Cathy McGowan and Greens MP Adam Bandt co-sponsored a bill to introduce same-sex marriage in Australia.
In October 2015, Butler was appointed Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Child Safety and Prevention of Family Violence in Bill Shorten's Shadow Ministry.
- 2014 Griffith by-election result: AEC
- "Griffith by-election: Bill Glasson, Terri Butler vie for Kevin Rudd's old seat as voters return to polls". ABC News. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "The letter Terri Butler wrote to keep anti-abortionists away". 30 September 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "US antiabortion campaigner Troy Newman barred from entering Australia". 1 October 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Anti-abortion activist Troy Newman to be deported after losing court bid to stay in Australia". 2 October 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Cross party plan reached on same sex marriage". Sky News Australia. 1 July 2015.
- Stephanie Peatling & James Massola (1 July 2015). "Multi-party same-sex marriage bill to be introduced in August". Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Same-sex marriage: Coalition MPs Warren Entsch, Teresa Gambaro to co-sponsor private member's bill". ABC News. 1 July 2015.
- "Why I'm co-sponsoring a marriage equality bill". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Official website
- Ms Terri Butler MP (Parliamentary profile page)
- Terri Butler on Twitter
- Summary of parliamentary voting for Terri Butler MP on TheyVoteForYou.org.au
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Griffith