Terri Nunn performing at Oracle OpenWorld 2010.
|Birth name||Terri Kathleen Nunn|
June 26, 1961 |
Baldwin Hills, California United States
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, US|
|Genres||Rock, new wave, industrial rock, post-punk, dance, synthpop|
The Sisters of Mercy
Nunn was born in Los Angeles, California. She joined Berlin in 1978 and temporarily left the group the following year to pursue an acting career. In 1981, she rejoined the group as the lead vocalist and soon forged her recording career in the band. Her greatest success in Berlin was the top-selling 1986 single "Take My Breath Away", the love theme in the film Top Gun. It reached the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. She sang other popular songs, including "Sex (I'm A...)", "The Metro", "You Don't Know", "No More Words" and "Masquerade".
Nunn acted in numerous television shows in the 1970s and '80s, including T.J. Hooker, Lou Grant and James at 15. She also unsuccessfully auditioned for the role of Princess Leia in Star Wars. She appeared in the 1978 film Thank God It's Friday. In 1979, she played a part in the short-lived CBS TV series, Time Express.
In 1977, Nunn posed nude for the February Penthouse issue, under the name "Betsy Harris". She was a minor when the pictures were taken and, for that reason, publicly denied it was her for several years. In 2011, she admitted the pictures were of herself.
In 1985, Nunn left Berlin and recorded the song "Dancing in Isolation" for the film Better Off Dead. It was produced by Rupert Hine. In 1989, she performed a duet with Paul Carrack called "Romance", which was included on the soundtrack to the film Sing. In the early 1990s, she sang backup for The Sisters of Mercy. In 1991, she recorded and released a solo album entitled Moment of Truth, in association with Prince's Paisley Park producer, David Z.
Nunn sang briefly in a rock band called Sin City, which played at The Martini Lounge (now known as The Larchmont) on May 14, 1996 and the (West Hollywood) House of Blues on Dec. 29, 1996.
Nunn obtained usage rights to the band name "Berlin" in 1996, and reformed that band with new members, who began recording and touring. Berlin released two EPs (Fall Into Heaven and Fall Into Heaven 2) in 1999, followed by their first live album, Sacred and Profane in 2000. Voyeur hit shelves in 2002. 4Play (2005) contains original songs and cover versions of some of the band's favorite songs.
In 2003, Berlin’s original lineup reunited, for the VH1 series "Bands Reunited".
Berlin released a live DVD/CD in June 2009, which was recorded at The House of Blues.[specify]
In 2010, Nunn appeared as a guest judge on season 2 of RuPaul's Drag Race, mentoring the contestants in a rock-themed singing challenge.
Berlin toured with INXS in the summer of 2011.
Nunn co-hosts "Between the Sheets", a popular podcast on webcast media station Hottalkla.com.
In September 2013 Nunn and Berlin released their "electronic and especially dance-oriented" album Animal.
Nunn is married to attorney Paul Spear. She has one daughter and two stepsons. One of the stepsons is a medic in the United States Army. The family has lived in Santa Rosa Valley, California since 2012.
- Gale, "Nunn, Terri", Biography in Context.
- Rinzer, JW (2007), The Making of Star Wars, NY: Ballantine Books, pp. 103–5, ISBN 978-0-345-47761-3.
- "Terri Nunn Interview". Inside mental health. 48:30: Pod-o-matic. 2011-08-08.
- You tube, Google.
- Nunn, Terri, "Release", Moment of Truth, Discogs.
- "Obtained Berlin Trademark". US: PTO. August 13, 1996.
- "Cherry bomb: Carrie Borzillo‐Vrenna’s ultimate how‐to for budding rock chicks". LA Weekly. July 30, 2008.
- "Who says coolness can’t be taught?". Skope. 2008-05-07. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Regeneration Tour". 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "INXS Announce North American Tour, Select Dates With Berlin". Pop in stereo. May 26, 2011.
- "Berlin's Terri Nunn: An Agoura Girl at Heart", Augora Hills Patch (Agoura Hills, CA, US), November 23, 2011.
- "Terri Nunn, Lead Singer of Berlin, Speaks to QV", by Luther Orrick-Guzman, QVMagazine.com
- Terri Nunn at the Internet Movie Database
- The Berlin Page.
- Nunn, Terri; Davis, Martha; Bruno, Gaye Ann, Between The Sheets (podcast), HotTalkLA.