Terrick Terrick National Park
|Terrick Terrick National Park
|Nearest town or city||Echuca|
|Area||38.8 km2 (15.0 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Parks Victoria|
|Website||Terrick Terrick National Park|
|See also||Protected areas of Victoria|
The Terrick Terrick National Park is a national park located in the region of Victoria, Australia. The 3,880-hectare (9,600-acre) national park was declared in June 1988 and is situated approximately 225 kilometres (140 mi) northwest of Melbourne, 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) north of the town of Mitiamo and 65 kilometres (40 mi) north of Bendigo. The national park is an important remnant of Box-Ironbark forests and northern grass plains and is close to Kow Swamp, the site of a major palaeontological find providing insight into the origins of Indigenous Australians. There are many walking tracks and one basic campground. Drinking water is not available in the park and must be carried.
Terrick Terrick National Park was one of the last remaining strongholds for the Plains-wanderer, an endangered Australian endemic bird species. Land management techniques employed by Parks Victoria has seen the species almost wiped-out, in addition to the creation of dangerous fuel loads, and the prevalence of many noxious weeds. The park is part of the Patho Plains Important Bird Area, so identified by BirdLife International principally because of its importance for the conservation of Plains-wanderers.
- Protected areas of Victoria
- Delma impar, the striped legless lizard
- Sminthopsis crassicaudata, the fat-tailed dunnart
- List of reduplicated Australian place names
- "Terrick Terrick National Park: Visitor Guide" (PDF). Parks Victoria (PDF). Government of Victoria. June 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Blunder threatens Plains Wanderer". Weekly Times Now. 14 November 2012.
- "Parks failing Plains Wanderer". Weekly Times Now. 21 November 2012.
- Snashall-Woodhams, Elise (16 November 2011). "Push for cattle grazing in ‘fire risk’ Terrick park". Bendigo Advertiser.
- "IBA: Patho Plains". Birdata. Birds Australia. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
|This article about a location in Victoria, Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Australian protected areas-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|