Armstead in 2015
|No. 72 – New Orleans Saints|
|Born:||July 23, 1991|
Cahokia, Illinois, U.S.
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||304 lb (138 kg)|
|High school:||Cahokia (Cahokia, Illinois)|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 3 / Pick: 75|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
|Player stats at PFR|
Terron Armstead (born July 23, 1991) is an American football offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Saints in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Arkansas–Pine Bluff. Armstead was named HBCU Top 30 Under 30, in July 2014.
A native of Cahokia, Illinois, Armstead attended Cahokia High School, where he was a letterman in football and track. He grew from a 6-2, 250-pound offensive lineman as a junior to a 6-4, 300-pound senior, leading Comanches to an 11-2 record and league title, earning All-Southern Seven Conference and All-Class 5A selection.
In track & field, Armstead was named the News-Democrat Track & Field Athlete of the Year after capturing the state title in the shot put event with a 61 ft 5 in (18.71980 m) throw. He also threw the discus.
Armstead enrolled in the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, where he played for the UAPB Golden Lions football team from 2009 to 2012. He was an All-Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) selection during his final three seasons at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
Track and field
Armstead was also on the Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions track & field team, where he competed as a shot putter, discus thrower and hammer thrower. He got a personal-record of 18.73 meters in the shot put at the 2012 NCAA West Regional, placing 10th. At the 2012 Pepsi Florida Relays, he placed 4th in the discus throw with a career-best throw of 50.37 meters.
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 3⁄4 in
|9 1⁄4 in
|4.71 s||1.68 s||2.77 s||4.72 s||7.62 s||34 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 4 in
|All values from NFL combine.|
2013 NFL Draft
Armstead was drafted in the third round, with the 75th overall pick, of the 2013 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints, making him the highest draft pick ever out of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. The pick was announced by retired Saint Steve Gleason, at the time wheelchair-bound and using a computerized voice due to his advanced ALS.
New Orleans Saints
On May 9, 2013, the Saints signed Armstead to a four-year, $2.86 million contract, with a $617,436 signing bonus. Armstead began his rookie season as the back up left tackle behind Charles Brown. On September 22, 2013, he played in his first regular season game against the Arizona Cardinals. On December 22, 2013, he received his first start against the Carolina Panthers. He remained the starting left tackle for the last 4 games of the Saints season.
Armstead began the season as the Saints' starting left tackle after Charles Brown left during the off season via free agency. He started the first 14 games of the season but missed the last two, due to injury.
He returned in as the Saints' starting left tackle for the 2015 season and started the first 4 games. After missing two games due to an injury, he returned Week 7 to play the next 9 games in a row. Armstead would also miss the last game of the season against the Atlanta Falcons.
On May 3, 2016, Armstead and the Saints agreed to a five-year, $65 million contract extension. The contract is guaranteed for $38 million and includes an $11 million signing bonus. After starting the first two games of the 2016 season, Armstead was unable to play for Weeks 3 and 4 after suffering a knee injury. He was placed on injured reserve on December 14, 2016.
On June 14, 2017 during minicamp, Armstead suffered a torn labrum which required surgery, which was expected to make him miss 4–6 months. He returned earlier than expected, however, and started ten games at left tackle during the regular season.
- Robert K Hoggard. "HBCU Top 30 Under 30". hbcubuzz.com. Washington DC: HBCU Buzz. p. 3. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "All-Area star won state shot put crown on final toss of his career". Illinois Prep. July 13, 2009.
- "Golden Lions' Armstead advances in West Preliminary shot put". Pine Bluff Commercial. May 24, 2012.
- Terron Armstead, a 6-5, 306-pound offensive tackle from Arkansas-Pine Bluff, runs arguably fastest 40-yard dash by a lineman at NFL Scouting Combine in 4.71 seconds
- "Cahokia's Armstead wows 'em at Combine". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. February 23, 2013.
- "Steve Gleason announces the saints 3rd round pick", YouTube, April 27, 2013. Retrieved 16 Apr 16.
- Wesseling, Chris (May 3, 2016). "Terron Armstead, Saints agree to five-year extension". NFL.com. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- Woodbery, Evan (May 3, 2016). "Terron Armstead agrees to 5-year contract extension through 2021". NOLA.com.
- "Saints Placing LT Terron Armstead On Injured Reserve, Sign LB Jason Trusnik". December 14, 2016.
- Patra, Kevin (June 16, 2017). "Saints' Terron Armstead out 4-6 months after surgery". NFL.com.