Terrorist Screening Center
|Federal Bureau of Investigation|
|Common name||Federal Bureau of Investigation|
The Terrorist Screening Center (TSC) is a division of the National Security Branch of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It is the duty of the TSC to identify suspected or potential terrorists. Though housed within the FBI, the TSC is a multi-agency organization, including representatives from the United States Department of Justice, the United States Department of State, the United States Department of Homeland Security, the United States Department of Defense, the United States Postal Service, and various private contractors. It is located in Vienna, Virginia, near Virginia State Route 123.
The Terrorist Screening Center maintains a database, the Terrorist Screening Database (TSDB), the aim of which is to contain information about all known or suspected terrorists, and makes this information available to a number of different government agencies, including the federal, state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies, the US State Department, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Transportation Security Administration.
The Terrorist Screening Center is headed by a Director, who reports to the Executive Assistant Director of the FBI National Security Branch. The current Director is Timothy J. Healy, who was appointed by FBI Director Robert Mueller on May 14, 2009.
The Terrorist Screening Center has three branches:
- Information Technology Branch - oversees IT planning and systems architecture, including the design, maintenance, and modification of the TSDB that houses the consolidated watch list information
- Administration Branch - handles personnel matters, security and guard services, budgetary issues, and logistics and physical space
- Operations Branch - houses the TSC’s 24-hour, 7-day a week call center, handling inquiries, complaints, and comments from law enforcement
- Nominations Group - responsible for additions, deletions, and modifications to the consolidated watch list.
- Tactical Analysis Group - performs analysis on encounters with potential terrorists to identify usable intelligence and forwards the information to the necessary parties
- "Quick Facts". Federal Bureau of Investigation. Retrieved 2014-12-17.
- George W. Bush. Directive on Integration and Use of Screening Information To Protect Against Terrorism (Homeland Security Presidential Directive 6). September 16, 2003.
- Timothy J. Healy Named Director of Terrorist Screening Center, FBI National Press Office, 2009-05-14
- Federal Bureau of Investigation official website
- EPIC Comments on the Terrorist Screening Records System
|This United States law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|