Terry A. Doughty
Terry A. Doughty
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana|
|Assumed office |
March 7, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Robert G. James|
|Chief Judge of the Louisiana District Court for the 5th District|
|Judge of the Louisiana District Court for the 5th District|
January 1, 2009 – March 8, 2018
|Preceded by||Glenn W. Strong|
|Born||January 16, 1959|
Rayville, Louisiana, U.S.
|Education||Louisiana Tech University (BS)|
Louisiana State University Law School (JD)
Terry Alvin Doughty (born January 16, 1959) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana. He was previously a judge of the Fifth Judicial District Court in Louisiana.
Doughty was born on January 16, 1959, in Rayville in Richland Parish in northeastern Louisiana. He received his Bachelor of Science in finance from Louisiana Tech University and his Juris Doctor from the Louisiana State University Law School.
State judicial service
As a judge, Doughty presided over criminal, civil, and juvenile cases arising in the parishes of Franklin, Richland, and West Carroll. Elected in 2008 to serve as a judge of the Fifth Judicial District in Louisiana, he replaced retiring Judge Glenn W. Strong. He assumed that office on January 1, 2009.
In 2015, Doughty was re-elected to the court and received the Citizen Lawyer Award from the Louisiana State Bar Association. From 1985 through 2008, Doughty served as an assistant district attorney for the Fifth Judicial District. During that period, he prosecuted misdemeanor and felony cases, and litigated post-conviction proceedings and juvenile cases. Prior to joining the district attorney's office, he practiced at the Rayville firm of Cotton, Bolton, Hoychick & Doughty. Doughty retired from the state bench on March 8, 2018.
Federal judicial service
On August 3, 2017, President Trump nominated Doughty to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, to the seat vacated by Judge Robert G. James, who assumed senior status on May 31, 2016. On November 1, 2017, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On December 7, 2017, his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. His nomination is currently pending before the full United States Senate. On March 1, 2018, the Senate voted 94–2 to invoke cloture on his nomination. Doughty's nomination was confirmed by the Senate on March 6, 2018, in a 98–0 vote. He received his commission on March 7, 2018.
The nomination was endorsed by U.S. Representative Ralph Abraham of Louisiana's 5th congressional district, who like Doughty resides in Richland Parish, and U.S. Senators Bill Cassidy and John Neely Kennedy. Doughty was rated "well qualified" by the American Bar Association.
- "Attorney Terry A Doughty - Lawyer in Rayville LA". www.lawyercentral.com.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Sixth Wave of Judicial Candidates and Fifth Wave of U.S. Attorney Candidates".
- "Fifth Judicial District Court – The Judges". www.5jdc.us/. Retrieved August 4, 2017.
- "Judge Carl Sharp to retire from bench in July, special election called".
- "Eighteen Nominations Sent to the Senate Today".
- "Nominations - United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting – December 7, 2017, Senate Judiciary Committee" (PDF).
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress - 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Terry A. Doughty, of Louisiana, to be U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Louisiana )". United States Senate. March 6, 2018. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- Barbara Leader and Greg Hilburn (August 4, 2017). "Trump taps Rayville judge for federal bench". The Monroe News-Star. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Macagnone, Michael (November 1, 2017). "GOP Sens. Deride 'Not Qualified' Rating For 8th Circ. Pick". Law360. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- Terry A. Doughty at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Terry A. Doughty at Ballotpedia
Glenn W. Strong
| Judge of the Louisiana District Court for the 5th District
Robert G. James
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
|This American law–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|