Terence Vincent Callaghan
March 11, 1945
|Education||Burnage Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester (BSc)|
University of Birmingham (PhD)
|Known for||Arctic ecology|
|Awards||Zayed International Prize for the Environment (2007)|
|Institutions||University of Sheffield|
Tomsk State University
|Thesis||Ecophysiological and taxonic studies on bi-polar Phleum alpinum L. (1972)|
Terence Vincent Callaghan  is a British biologist specialized in the ecology of the Arctic. Much of his work on arctic plants has taken place in Abisko in northernmost Sweden, based at the Abisko Scientific Research Station where he served as director. He was a lead author of the IPCC Fourth Assessment Reports chapter on polar regions.(born 1945)
Education and early life
Callaghan was born in Stockport and grew up in Levenshulme in Manchester and was educated at Burnage Grammar School. He was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Manchester in 1967 and a PhD from the University of Birmingham in 1972 for ecophysiological and taxonic studies on Phleum alpinum.
Career and research
Callaghan's research has focussed on the arctic and subarctic environment and the ecology of plants, animals, and ecosystem processes, including ecological responses to climate change, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and UV-B radiation. He has held academic positions at the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, the University of Sheffield, the University of Manchester, the University of York and Tomsk State University.
Awards and honours
Callaghan was awarded the Zayed International Prize for the Environment in 2007, the Vega Medal by the Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography in 2011, the International Arctic Science Committee medal in 2017. He was appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in the 2018 New Year Honours for services to advancing knowledge and international collaboration in Arctic science.
- Anon (2017). "Callaghan, Prof. Terence Vincent". Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). Oxford: A & C Black. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U290267. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Johansson, Margareta; Christensen, Torben R.; Akerman, H. Jonas; Callaghan, Terry V. (2006). "What Determines the Current Presence or Absence of Permafrost in the Torneträsk Region, a Sub-arctic Landscape in Northern Sweden?". Ambio: A Journal of the Human Environment. 35 (4): 190–197. doi:10.1579/0044-7447(2006)35[190:WDTCPO]2.0.CO;2. PMID 16944644. S2CID 45127318.
- Potter, Jacqueline A.; Press, Malcolm C.; Callaghan, Terry V.; Lee, John A. (1995). "Growth Responses of Polytrichum commune and Hylocomium splendens to Simulated Environmental Change in the Sub-Arctic". New Phytologist. 131 (4): 533–41. doi:10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03089.x. PMID 33863118.
- Johansson, M.; Jonasson, C.; Sonesson, M.; Christensen, T. R. (2012). "The Man, the Myth, the Legend: Professor Terry V. Callaghan and His 3M Concept". Ambio. 41 (Suppl 3): 175–177. doi:10.1007/s13280-012-0300-7. PMC 3535064. PMID 22864691.
- on YouTube
- Anon (2013). "From Levy to the Nobel Prize". manchestereveningnews.co.uk. Manchester Evening News.
- Callaghan, Terence Vincent (1972). Ecophysiological and taxonic studies on bi-polar Phleum alpinum L. exlibrisgroup.com (PhD thesis). University of Birmingham. OCLC 911142098.
- Marilyn D Walker; C Henrik Wahren; Robert D Hollister; et al. (20 January 2006). "Plant community responses to experimental warming across the tundra biome". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 103 (5): 1342–1346. Bibcode:2006PNAS..103.1342W. doi:10.1073/PNAS.0503198103. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 1360515. PMID 16428292. Wikidata Q30446383.
- William K Cornwell; Johannes H C Cornelissen; Kathryn Amatangelo; et al. (8 July 2008). "Plant species traits are the predominant control on litter decomposition rates within biomes worldwide". Ecology Letters. 11 (10): 1065–1071. doi:10.1111/J.1461-0248.2008.01219.X. ISSN 1461-023X. PMID 18627410. Wikidata Q33351730.
- Eric Post; Mads C Forchhammer; M Syndonia Bret-Harte; et al. (1 September 2009). "Ecological dynamics across the Arctic associated with recent climate change". Science. 325 (5946): 1355–1358. doi:10.1126/SCIENCE.1173113. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 19745143. Wikidata Q33501895.
- Sarah C Elmendorf; Gregory H R Henry; Robert D Hollister; et al. (5 December 2011). "Global assessment of experimental climate warming on tundra vegetation: heterogeneity over space and time". Ecology Letters. 15 (2): 164–175. doi:10.1111/J.1461-0248.2011.01716.X. ISSN 1461-023X. PMID 22136670. Wikidata Q34089721.
- Ellen Dorrepaal; Sylvia Toet; Richard S. P. van Logtestijn; Elferra Swart; Martine J. van de Weg; Terry V. Callaghan; Rien Aerts (July 2009). "Carbon respiration from subsurface peat accelerated by climate warming in the subarctic". Nature. 460 (7255): 616–619. doi:10.1038/NATURE08216. ISSN 1476-4687. Wikidata Q59072344.
.sheffield .ac .uk /biosciences /people /academic-staff /terry-v-callaghan