|Part of a series of articles on|
Terry Cole-Whittaker (born December 3, 1939, in Los Angeles), or Dr. Terry, is a New Thought writer and United Church of Religious Science minister, and the founder of Terry Cole-Whittaker Ministries and Adventures in Enlightenment.
She became familiar with what she calls the "principles of prosperity" through the actions of a teacher in high school. She enrolled in college, where she became the homecoming queen and president of the freshman class. She would later go on to enter the Mrs. America pageant, becoming Mrs. California and winning third place in the national competition. She later joined the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera and became an opera singer. She would not stay with this position long, however. She went on to start a company, Success Plus, in which she became one of the first conductors of human potential seminars for corporations, becoming a successful motivational and inspirational speaker.
She went on to earn a Doctor of Divinity degree in 1973, and was ordained as a minister of the United Church of Religious Science in 1975, and became the pastor of a fifty-member congregation of that church in La Jolla in 1977. The church grew under her leadership, drawing numbers as high as 5,000 for Easter Sunday, and eventually expanded to include a grammar school, ministry school, and five teaching centers. She also began a television program in 1979, which at one time was syndicated to fifteen television stations in the country. Among those she influenced was Gian-Luigi Ferri, the mass-shooter in the 101 California Street Shooting, who was influenced by her gospel of Success but eventually frustrated by his unsuccessful business ventures.
In 1982, Cole-Whittaker left the United Church of Religious Science and founded Terry Cole-Whittaker Ministries. She continued to be popular, drawing over four thousand people to her weekly services and traveling as a lecturer and workshop leader. In 1985, financial concerns prompted her to cease production of the television show and create a new foundation, Adventures in Enlightenment.
- What You Think of Me is None of My Business (1979).
- How to Have More in a Have Not World
- Inner Path from the Goddess Within
- Dare to Be Great (2001)
- Creating Your Destiny – A Remarkable Guide to Making Decisions that Give You Happiness and Prosperity
- Every Saint Has a Past, Every Sinner a Future:Seven Steps to the Spiritual and Material Riches of Life
- The Inner Path from where you are to where you want to be
- Love and Power in a World without Limits
- Live Your Bliss (2009)
- O'Shea, D. (March 2005) "When the spirit moves us," San Diego magazine. Vol. 57, No. 5. p 118. ISSN 0036-4045.
- "Baffling Portrait of S.F. Gunman Emerges : Violence: Some say he was polite and withdrawn, others call him strange and secretive." Los Angeles Times. 07/03/1993. Check date values in:
- Lewis, James R. (1998). The Encyclopedia of Cults, Sects, and New Religions. Amherst, New York: Prometheus Books. ISBN 1-57392-222-6.