Terry Evans (musician)
|Birth name||Terry Lee Evans|
August 14, 1937 |
Vicksburg, Mississippi, United States
|Genres||R&B, blues, soul|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, guitarist, songwriter|
|Labels||Various including Point Blank, AudioQuest Music, and Telarc|
Terry Evans (born August 14, 1937) is an African American R&B, blues, and soul singer, guitarist and songwriter. He has worked with many musicians including Ry Cooder, Bobby King, John Fogerty, Eric Clapton, Joan Armatrading, John Lee Hooker, Boz Scaggs, Maria Muldaur and Hans Theessink. Cooder stated that he always thought that Evans made a better "frontman."
From 1994 to the present, Evans has released seven solo albums, including Blues for Thought (1994) Come to the River (1997) and Fire in the Feeling (2005).
Life and career
Terry Lee Evans was born in Vicksburg, Mississippi, United States, and sang in his local church choir. His parents were keen for him to concentrate purely on gospel music, although Evans found exposure to the work of mainstream blues musicians. He worked semi professionally with an a cappella group called the Knights before relocating in the 1960s to Los Angeles. He expanded his repertoire by learning to play the guitar and started to write songs for other musicians. Amongst those who recorded his songs were Pops Staples ("Love Is a Precious Thing") and Louis Jordan ("Hop, Skip, and Jump"). Unable to find his own fame, despite television exposure, Evans teamed with fellow soul and gospel singer, Bobby King. They performed regularly on the chitlin' circuit throughout the 1970s, although Evans also worked as a backing vocalist for Ry Cooder. His backup work appeared on several of Cooder's albums down the years, including Chicken Skin Music (1976) and My Name Is Buddy (2007). Evans joint work with King saw the release of two albums in 1988 and 1990.
He gained a bigger audience through his involvement in the soundtrack to the 1986 film, Crossroads. Evans voice appeared on the title track in the film itself, and on the soundtrack on another song, "Down in Mississippi". Evans later worked with Lloyd Jones' on the latter's album, Trouble Monkey, before recording his first solo album, Blues for Thought (1994). It was produced by Ry Cooder, who also played guitar on the recording. Evans sang backing vocals on the Dutch singer and guitarist Hans Theessink's 1997 album, Journey On. Evans 2001 album, Mississippi Magic was nominated for a Blues Music Award as the "Best Soul Blues Album of the Year". On Evans 2005 album, Fire in the Feeling, David Lindley guest starred playing guitar on a couple of the tracks.
In 2014 Evans was featured on the compilation Songs from a Stolen Spring. On the album Evans' performance of "Dancing in the Street" was meshed with Lebanese singer-songwriter Tania Saleh's "Not a Word was Spoken".
|1988||Live and Let Live!||Rounder||with Bobby King|
|1990||Rhythm, Blues, Soul & Grooves||Rounder||with Bobby King|
|1994||Blues for Thought||Point Blank|
|1995||Puttin' It Down||AudioQuest Music|
|1997||Come to the River||AudioQuest Music|
|2000||Walk That Walk||Telarc|
|2001||Mississippi Magic||AudioQuest Music|
|2003||Live Like a Hurricane||AudioQuest Music||Live album|
|2005||Fire in the Feeling||Valley Entertainment|
|2008||Visions||Blue Groove||with Hans Theessink|
|2012||Delta Time||Blue Groove||with Hans Theessink|
|2014||Songs from a Stolen Spring||Valley Entertainment||Compilation|
- Blues: A Regional Experience – Bob L. Eagle, Eric S. LeBlanc – Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. August 14, 1937. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Char Ham. "Terry Evans | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Terry Evans Music". Terry Evans Music. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Bobby King and Terry Evans Rhythm, Blues, Soul... – Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. December 20, 1990. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Onstage Orange City features soul & blues star Terry Evans – Orange City Arts Council". Orangecityarts.net. June 17, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Pemberton Roach (May 3, 1994). "Blues for Thought – Terry Evans | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Journey On – Hans Theessink | Credits". AllMusic. April 28, 1997. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- More Blues Singers: Biographies of 50 Artists from the Later 20th Century – David Dicaire – Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "CrossCut Records | CCD 11086 TERRY EVANS Fire in the Feeling". Crosscut.de. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "New album 'Delta Time' is the latest transatlantic blues treasure – British Columbia – CBC News". Cbc.ca. August 2, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Songs From A Stolen Spring". Valley Entertainment. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Terry Evans | Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-02.