Terry L. Anderson
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Terry Lee Anderson is the William A. Dunn Distinguished Senior Fellow and former Executive Director and President of the Property and Environment Research Center (PERC) as well as the John and Jean De Nault Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. Anderson's works argue that market approaches can be both economically sound and environmentally sensitive. His research helped launch the idea of free market environmentalism and has prompted public debate over the proper role of government in managing natural resources. He is the co-chair of Hoover's Property Rights, Freedom, and Prosperity Task Force.
Anderson is the author or editor of thirty-seven books. Among these, Free Market Environmentalism, co-authored with Donald Leal, received the 1992 Sir Antony Fisher International Memorial Award. A revised edition was published in 2001.
Anderson and Donald Leal’s most recent book, Free Market Environmentalism – The Next Generation, was published in 2015. His most recent publications are Environmental Markets: a Property Rights Approach (Cambridge University Press, 2014) and Tapping Water Markets (RFF Press, 2012). Other books include Greener Than Thou: Are You Really an Environmentalist? (Hoover Institution Press, 2008) and Property Rights: A Practical Guide to Freedom and Prosperity (Hoover Institution Press, 2003), both co-authored with Laura Huggins. His book, with Peter J. Hill, The Not So Wild, Wild West: Property Rights on the Frontier (Stanford University Press), was awarded the 2005 Sir Antony Fisher International Memorial Award.
Anderson’s research, which has also focused on Native American economies, recently resulted in a co-edited volume, Self-Determination: The Other Path for Native Americans (Stanford University Press, 2006). He has published widely in the popular press and professional journals, including the Wall Street Journal, the Christian Science Monitor, Fly Fisherman, Journal of Law and Economics, and Economic Inquiry. During his career at Montana State University, Anderson received several outstanding teaching awards and is now professor emeritus of economics. He received his B.S. from the University of Montana and earned a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Washington. In March 2011, Anderson received the Liberalni Institute Annual Award in Prague, Czech Republic, for his "Contribution to the Proliferation of Liberal Thinking, and Making Ideas of Liberty, Private Property, Competition, and the Rule of Law Come True.” Previous recipients include Nobel laureates Milton Friedman, Gary Becker, and Vernon L. Smith.
- Terry L. Anderson & Peter J. Hill (eds), The Not So Wild, Wild West: Property Rights on the Frontier, Stanford, California, Stanford Economics and Finance, 2004. ISBN 0-8047-4854-3.
- Terry L. Anderson & Bruce Yandle (eds), Agriculture and the Environment – Searching for Greener Pastures, Stanford, California, Hoover Institution Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8179-9912-4.
- Terry L. Anderson and Donald R. Leal, Free Market Environmentalism, New York, NY, Palgrave, 2001. (The original 1991 edition was published by Westview Press). ISBN 0-312-23502-X.
- Terry L. Anderson and Henry I. Miller (eds), The Greening of U.S. Foreign Policy,Stanford, California, Hoover Institution Press, 2000. ISBN 0-8179-9862-4.
- Terry L. Anderson (ed), Political Environmentalism: Going Behind the Green Curtain, Stanford, California, Hoover Institution Press, 2000. ISBN 0-8179-9752-0.
- Terry L. Anderson and Alexander James (eds), The Politics and Economics of Park Management, Lanham, MD, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, 2001. ISBN 978-0-7425-1156-9.
- Terry L. Anderson and Donald R. Leal, Enviro-Capitalists, Doing Good While Doing Well, Lanham, MD, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, 1997. ISBN 0-8476-8381-8.
- Terry L. Anderson and Pamela S. Snyder, Water Markets: Priming the Invisible Pump, Washington D.C., Cato, 1997. ISBN 1-8825-7743-4.
- Terry L. Anderson (ed), Breaking the Environmental Policy Gridlock, Stanford, California, Hoover Institution Press, 1997. ISBN 0-8179-9472-6.
- Terry L. Anderson and Peter J. Hill (eds), Water Marketing—The Next Generation, Lanham, MD, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, 1997. ISBN 0-8476-8397-4.
- Terry L. Anderson and Peter J. Hill (eds), Privatization Process: A Worldwide Perspective, Lanham, MD, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, 1996. ISBN 0-8476-8186-6.
- Terry L. Anderson, Sovereign Nations or Reservations? An Economic History of American Indians, San Francisco, Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy, 1995. ISBN 0-9364-8881-6.
- Terry L. Anderson and Peter J. Hill (eds), Wildlife in the Marketplace Lanham, MD, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, 1995. ISBN 0-8476-8024-X.