|Member of the Illinois Senate|
from the 30th district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||David N. Barkhausen|
|Born||March 20, 1947|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Stout|
|Occupation||Full Time Legislator|
Terry Link (born March 20, 1947) is a member of the Illinois Senate, representing the 30th district since 1997. The 30th district includes all or part of the municipalities of Beach Park, Buffalo Grove, Green Oaks, Lincolnshire, Mundelein, North Chicago, Riverwoods, Wheeling, Vernon Hills and Waukegan.
A lifelong resident of the Waukegan-North Chicago area, Link attended high school at North Chicago High School. After graduating, he attended Stout State University (now University of Wisconsin–Stout). After college, Link began to pursue his career in business as a partner at Major Industrial Trucking. He later worked for Johnson Controls in their governmental affairs division. He later served in both the Illinois State Treasurer's office and Illinois Secretary of State's office During this time, he married his wife Susan with whom he has four children and three grandchildren.
Illinois State Senate
In 1996, Terry Link was elected to the Illinois Senate to serve the 30th district in 90th General Assembly.
As a senator, Link supported legislation to aid those on fixed incomes, to cap large tax increases statewide. He also supported a tax credit to encourage businesses to hire honorably discharged veterans, a consumer protection measure requiring automotive manufacturers to eliminate mercury switches from existing vehicles and served as the lead sponsor on the Wetland Protection Act and Smoke Free Illinois.
In the 97th General Assembly, Link served as the Chairperson of the Gaming Committee and Vice Chairperson of Financial Institutions, Local Government and State Government & Veterans Affairs committees respectively.
Waukegan mayor election, 2013
Link ran in the Democratic primary for Waukegan Mayor in 2013. He received endorsements from, among others, the Waukegan Police Benevolent Labor Committee and Lake County Board Commissioner Diane Hewitt. Link came in last place in the primary, behind Waukegan City Clerk Wayne Motley and Alderman Sam Cunningham.
Additional and Past Community Service
Link also served as President of Friends of the Historic Genesee Theatre.
- "PA 97-0006 Legislative District 30" (PDF). Springfield, Illinois: Illinois House of Representatives. May 18, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- "Our History in Lake County". Lake County Democratic Central Committee. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- Lissau, Russell. "State Sen. Terry Link to run for Waukegan mayor". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "About Terry Link". Terry Link for Mayor. Archived from the original on 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Biography". Illinois Senate Democratic Caucus. Archived from the original on 2014-10-24. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Legislative Accomplishments". Illinois Senate Democratic Caucus. Archived from the original on 2014-10-25. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Senator Biography". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Endoresement: Policemen's Benevolent & Protective Association". Terry Link for Mayor. Archived from the original on 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Diane Hewitt Endorsement". Terry Link for Mayor. Archived from the original on 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2013-01-24.