|Born||20 November 1966|
|Residence||Thornlands, Queensland, Australia|
|Known for||Digital camera astrophotography|
|Notable work||C/2007 E2 (Lovejoy), C/2007 K5 (Lovejoy), C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy), C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy), C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy), C/2017 E4 (Lovejoy)|
Terry Lovejoy (born 20 November 1966) is an information technologist from Thornlands, Queensland, Australia, most widely known as an amateur astronomer. He has discovered six comets, including C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy), the first Kreutz Sungrazing comet discovered by ground-based observation in over 40 years. He is also known for popularizing procedures for modifying consumer-grade digital cameras so that they can be used for digital camera astrophotography.
Lovejoy is known among amateur astronomers for identifying modifications to digital cameras needed for astrophotography. Such cameras come configured with built-in filters that cut off infrared light. Unfortunately, they also cut off some of the red light that many deep space objects emit. After he published procedures to modify those filters, many amateur astronomers were able to improve their deep space photography.
On 27 November 2011, with his discovery of C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy), he became the first astronomer in over 40 years to discover a Kreutz Sungrazing comet from a ground-based observation. The discovery was made using a Celestron C8 Schmidt–Cassegrain telescope working at f/2.1 with a QHY9 CCD camera.
On 7 September 2013, Lovejoy discovered comet C/2013 R1 which became visible to the naked eye in November 2013.
- Moskowitz, Clara (15 December 2011). "Ode to a Comet: Q & A With Discoverer of Sungrazing Comet Lovejoy". SPACE.com. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
The sungrazing comet C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy), set to skim the surface of the sun late Thursday (Dec. 15), was discovered two weeks ago by amateur observer Terry Lovejoy. Lovejoy, 45, works in the information technology field by day in Thornlands, Australia.
- Lovejoy, Terry. "'Improving' the 300D for Astro". PBase.com. Archived from the original on 2004-08-05. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- De Groot, Vanessa (23 March 2007). "Stellar discovery from the back yard". The Courier Mail. p. 7.
- Smith, Deborah (28 December 2011). "Cosmic escape artist dazzles with a dash past the sun". The Sydney Morning Herald. p. 6.
- King, Bob. "Australian Amateur Terry Lovejoy Discovers New Comet". universetoday.com. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Guido, Ernesto. "Confirmation image of Terry Lovejoy's discovery of". remanzacco.blogspot.it. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Comet Lovejoy Visits La Silla". www.eso.org. Retrieved 25 August 2016.