March 2, 1949 |
De Pere, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Alma mater||St. Norbert College|
|Occupation||television personality, co-host of the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN)'s 700 Club, author and singer|
|Title||Miss Green Bay 1972
Miss Wisconsin 1972
Miss America 1973
|Successor||Rebecca Ann King|
Meeuwsen was the 1972 Miss Green Bay, 1972 Miss Wisconsin  and the winner of the Miss America pageant in 1973, taking both the talent and swimsuit competitions. She was the first Miss Wisconsin delegate to hold the Miss America title.
Life and career
In high school, Meeuwsen was selected homecoming queen, and was also a cheerleader for three years. After graduation, between 1969–1971, Meeuwsen performed and traveled with the singing group The New Christy Minstrels, but left the show to enter the Miss America pageant preliminary competitions.
After appearing on The 700 Club several times in the late 1980s and early 1990s as a guest co-host, she became a permanent co-host in 1993, sitting daily beside CBN founder Pat Robertson. Since 2000, she has co-hosted the CBN show, Living the Life, with comedian Louise DuArt. Both shows air on ABC Family. On September 12, 1995, Meeuwsen released the inspirational pop recording, Eyes of My Heart. She has also authored four books, including Christmas Memories (1996), Near To The Heart Of God (1998), Just Between Friends (1999), and The God Adventure (2005). Meeuwsen serves as director of Orphan's Promise, a part of CBN aimed at helping orphans and vulnerable children around the world through academic programs; life skills training; mentoring and career placement; food and clothing assistance; health care programs; housing; and orphan and adoption advocacy.
Meeuwsen and her husband, Andy Friedrich, have seven children. The marriage is the second for each. The couple has strongly advocated adoption, and most of their children are adopted from difficult backgrounds. Their youngest three girls were adopted from Ukraine.
- Victor Pays Tribute To Competitors
- Miss Wisconsin wins two Miss America preliminaries
- De Pere Girl Begins US Reign
- "Milwaukee Sentinel". Sarasota Herald Tribune. Associated Press. 1972-09-25. p. 12.
- "Miss America Quit Road Shows To Enter Pageant". Sarasota Herald Tribune. Associated Press. 1972-09-11. p. 9A.
- "Ex-Miss America Calm in Face of Two New Careers". Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. 1974-12-06. p. 25.
- "Here's A Former Miss America Who Prays On TV With Viewers". Sarasota Herald Tribune. Associated Press. 1998-03-20. p. 2C.
- "New Life: Meeuwsen Changes Her Course". Milwaukee Journal. 1993-04-25. p. 1.
- "She’s Living The Life". The Virginian Pilot. 2002-03-09.
- "Putting Prayer At Center Stage". Chicago Sun-Times. 1998-06-21. p. 34.
- MSNBC January 5, 2010
- "Meeuswen Clan: And Then There Were Seven". Virginia Pilot. 2003-03-02. p. 9A.
- Terry Meeuwsen's official web site
- Terry Meewusen biography at CBN.com
- Terry Meeuwsen as a member of the New Christy Minstrels
|Awards and achievements|
Rebecca Ann King