||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
Terry Molloy, with an original Davros mask, at a Doctor Who in-store signing event on 1st December 2007
|Born||1947 (age 67–68)
North Shields, Tyneside, England
Terry Molloy (born 1947, North Shields, Tyneside, England) is an English actor known predominantly for his work on radio and television.
Molloy has been a member of the cast of BBC Radio 4's The Archers playing Mike Tucker since 1973 and has won awards for his work as an actor on radio. In 1980 he performed in the Radio 4 adaptation of Nicholas Monsarrat's war novel The Cruel Sea.
On television, Molloy is perhaps best known for becoming the third actor to play the mad scientist Davros, the creator of the Daleks, in the long-running science fiction series Doctor Who. He appeared in the stories Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks and Remembrance of the Daleks, becoming the first actor to play the role in different stories. Molloy was initially cast in the role by director Matthew Robinson, who had worked with him before and thought his talent for voices would be ideal to recreate the part first played by Michael Wisher. Molloy also appeared in the Doctor Who story Attack of the Cybermen as an undercover policeman named Russell, again cast by Robinson. In recent years, Molloy has reprised the role of Davros in the Big Finish Productions audio dramas Davros, The Juggernauts, Terror Firma, Masters of War, The Davros Mission and the four-part miniseries I, Davros. He also played Davros in a 2005 stage production, The Trial of Davros. Molloy also took over the role of Stan Harvey in the ITV soap opera Crossroads from Edward Clayton when Stan made a brief visit to the motel in 1987.
Molloy regularly attends Doctor Who conventions and events, where he meets fans and speaks about his time on the programme. He has also recently appeared on BBC 7 (now Radio4extra) in the role of Professor Edward Dunning opposite fellow Doctor Who actor Nicholas Courtney in The Scarifyers audio series, co-written by Paul Morris and Simon Barnard for Cosmic Hobo Productions.
In 2014 he voiced Davros in Benjamin Maio Mackay's touring comedy show "50 Years of Doctor Who: Preachrs Podcast Live 2!" which played Adelaide Fringe and Melbourne International Comedy Festival to great acclaim. Molloy also conducted a successful interview with Benjamin's Doctor Who Podcast (Doctor Who: Preachrs Podcast).
- "Doctor Who: My life as Davros". BBC. 16 March 2005. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Terry Molloy at the Internet Movie Database
- Terry Molloy's website
- Terry Molloy: The Voice Master Part 1
- Terry Molloy: The Voice Master Part 2
- BBC Norfolk — Watch interview with Terry Molloy discussing I Davros — November '06
- BBC Norfolk Online — Davros gallery
- BBC Norfolk Online — Terry Molloy interview on playing Davros
- BBC Norfolk Online — RealAudio interview with Terry Molloy discussing how he created the voice of Davros
- BBC Norfolk Online — RealAudio interview with Terry Molloy discussing being cast as Davros
- BBC Norfolk Online — RealAudio interview with Terry Molloy speculating about the return of Davros in Doctor Who
- BBC Norfolk Online — RealAudio interview with Terry Molloy discussing the new series of Doctor Who
- Casting Call Pro website — Terry Molloy
- Radio 4 biography