Terry Moore (cartoonist)
Terry Moore at Heroes Con 2006
Strangers in Paradise|
1996 Eisner Award|
(Best Serialized Story)
2014 Harvey Award
2015 Harvey Award
Moore was born in Texas and he grew up in the Southern United States, Africa, and England. His younger sister was born while his family lived in Africa. He began drawing in sketch books when he was eight, and when he was thirteen, he learned to play the electric guitar. While working as a musician, he met and married his wife. When they decided to have a family, he took a more stable job as an editor. He moved into cartooning when he became tired of editing.
Following the examples of independent comic creators such as Dave Sim and Jeff Smith, Terry Moore decided to publish Strangers in Paradise himself through his own Houston-based "Abstract Studios" imprint. He has said his greatest career influence is Peanuts' Charles Schulz. His work has won him recognition in the comics industry, including the Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story in 1996 for Strangers in Paradise #1-8, which was collected in the trade paperback "I Dream of You".
In 2008, Moore wrote and drew covers for all five issues of Marvel Comics's Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane vol. 2. The following year, he began writing Runaways vol. 2, also for Marvel. This run lasted for 9 issues.
The first issue of his next self-published series, Echo was released on March 5, 2008. Echo ran for 36 issues and concluded in June 2011. It was followed in August 2011 by Rachel Rising, a 42-issue horror comic which won the 2014 Harvey Award for Best Lettering and 2015 award for Best Cartoonist in addition to several other nominations. It was also nominated for an Eisner Award in the categories Best Continuing Series (2012), Best Writer/Artist (2012, 2014), and Best Letterer (2014). His next book, Motor Girl, ran for 10 issues between November 2016 and November 2017.
Moore has expressed a desire to do a syndicated cartoon strip in the authors notes at the back of the Strangers in Paradise collection books. Some of Moore's strip work has been published in Paradise, Too! and as a second feature in select issues of Rachel Rising.
- Strangers in Paradise vol. 1, 3 issues (1993-1994)
- Strangers in Paradise vol. 2, 13 issues (1994-1996)
- Strangers in Paradise vol. 3, 90 issues (1996-2007)
- Negative Burn #13 (1994)
- Original cover art for Dan DeBono's Indy #12 (c. 1995)
- Lady Supreme #1-2 (1996)
- Gen 13 Bootleg #14-15 (1997)
- Star Wars Tales #5 (2000)
- Paradise, Too! 14 issues (2000-2003)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow and Tara 1-shot (2001)
- Birds of Prey #47-49 (2002)
- DC First: Batgirl/Joker #1 (2002)
- Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #14 (2002)
- The Darkness/Vampirella 1-shot (2005)
- Treehouse of Horror #12 (2006)
- Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane vol. 2 (2008-2009)
- Runaways vol. 3 #1-9 (2008-2009)
- Echo 30 issues (2008-2011)
- Strange Tales II #3 (2011)
- Fables #107 (2011)
- Rachel Rising 42 issues (2011-2016)
- How to Draw 4 issues (2012)
- SIP Kids 4 issues (2016)
- Motor Girl 10 issues (2016-2017)
- Strangers in Paradise XXV (2018)
- Stryker, Jonathan (November 15, 2017), "Interview: Cartoonist Terry Moore," Horror News. Retrieved 2017-12-14
- IGN: Dirty Dozen Starring Terry Moore
- "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (2008) #5". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-26.
- Rogers, Vaneta (2007-07-27). "SDCC '07: TERRY MOORE/HUMBERTO RAMOS NEXT RUNAWAYS TEAM". Newsarama. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- Terry Moore » Blog Archive » First look at new series! Archived 2011-07-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- (July 12, 2012), "2012 Harvey Awards Nominees announced Archived 2012-07-29 at the Wayback Machine.", Baltimore Comic-Con (accessed January 10, 2016)
- (July 15, 2013), "2013 HARVEY AWARD NOMINEES ANNOUNCED," Comic Book Resources (accessed January 10, 2016)
- (September 7, 2014), "Your 2014 Harvey Award Winners," Comics Reporter (accessed January 10, 2016)
- (September 26, 2015), "The 2015 Harvey Award Winners," Tech Times (accessed January 10, 2016)
- (July 5, 2016), "2016 Harvey Awards Nominees Announced," Newsarama (accessed July 15, 2016)
- Ken Mills (Director) (July 21, 2009). The Cartoonist: Jeff Smith, BONE and the Changing Face of Comics (Documentary). Mills James Productions.
- Inkwell Awards 2016 Winners
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terry Moore (comics).|
- The Strangers in Paradise Website
- Interview with The Comics Journal
- Baker's Dozen with Terry Moore
- Terry Moore's Blog
- Tery Moore discussing SiP Pocket Editions on Comic Geek Speak Podcast:
- Interview on Where Monsters Dwell Podcast (June, 2013)
| Birds of Prey writer
| Runaways writer