|Occupation||Actor, stunt co-ordinator/double, movement coach|
Terry Notary (born August 14, 1968) is an American actor, stunt co-ordinator/double and movement coach. Notary mainly portrays creatures and animals for the film and television industry, and is known for his motion capture performances in films like Avatar, The Adventures of Tintin: Secrets of the Unicorn, the Planet of the Apes reboot series, and The Hobbit film trilogy. In 2018, Notary played Cull Obsidian in the Marvel Studios films Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.
Born in San Rafael, California, Notary was diagnosed as being severely hyperactive at age 7. His parents enrolled him in gymnastics class to burn off excess energy. He won a gymnastics scholarship at UCLA, where he graduated with a major in theatre.
Notary's first career was as a performer with Cirque du Soleil. His first job as a stunt movement coach was on Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Director Ron Howard was hiring Cirque gymnasts for the film, and after sufficiently impressing Howard, Notary was offered the job of teaching all the actors how to move. Notary followed this new career path to Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, for which he prepared by studying ape movements at the LA County Zoo. Notary's first motion capture film was Avatar, where he was the movement coach for the Na'vi.
Swedish director Ruben Östlund hired Notary when casting his Palme d'Or-winning 2017 film The Square. For Oleg, a character who acts like an ape, Östlund discovered Notary after running a Google search for "actor imitating monkey" and viewing one of Notary's performances (which was for an audition for Planet of the Apes). His performance in that single scene, in which a performance artist acts like a hostile ape at a fancy dinner, was widely praised, The Independent calling it "the most tense, uncomfortable scene of the year."
|2000||Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas||Stunt performer / movement coach||N/A|
|2001||The Animal||Stunt performer||N/A|
|Planet of the Apes||Stunt performer / Tim Roth's stunt double (uncredited) /
|Various Ape Extras|
|The Hot Chick||Stunt performer||N/A|
|2003||X2||Stunt performer / movement coach||N/A|
|Tarzan||Animal movement coach||N/A|
|2004||The Village||Movement coach||N/A|
|2005||Me and You and Everyone We Know||Stunt co-ordinator||N/A|
|2006||Superman Returns||Stunt performer / movement coach||N/A|
|2007||If I Had Known I Was A Genius||Stunt co-ordinator||N/A|
|Slipstream||Stunt co-ordinator (uncredited)||N/A|
|Next||Stunt double (uncredited)/ movement coach (uncredited)||N/A|
|Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer||Stunt performer / Silver Surfer MoCap performer /
|2008||The Incredible Hulk||Movement coach / Tim Roth's stunt double (uncredited) /
Hulk & Abomination MoCap performers
|2009||The Forgotten Ones||Stunt co-ordinator||Alpha Creature|
|Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen||Movement coach||N/A|
|Avatar||Stunts / MoCap performer/ movement coach||Banshee (uncredited)|
|2010||The Lost Tribe||Executive producer/ stunt co-ordinator/ movement coach||Alpha Male|
|2011||Attack the Block||Movement coach||Head Alien|
|Rise of the Planet of the Apes||Stunt co-ordinator / Andy Serkis & Richard Ridings's stunt double /
|Rocket / Bright Eyes|
|The Adventures of Tintin||Stunt co-ordinator/ stunt performer / MoCap performer /
|The Cabin in the Woods||Stunt performer / movement coach||Clown|
|2012||The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey||MoCap performer/ movement coach||Goblin|
|2013||The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||Stunt performer / movement coach||Goblin / Yazneg (pick-up shots)|
|2014||Dawn of the Planet of the Apes||Stunt co-ordinator / movement coach||Rocket|
|The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies||Movement coach||Laketown Refugee|
|2016||Warcraft||Stunt coordinator / movement coach||Grommash Hellscream|
|2017||Kong: Skull Island||MoCap performer||King Kong|
|War for the Planet of the Apes||Stunt co-ordinator / movement coach||Rocket|
|2018||Avengers: Infinity War||Groot MoCap performer||Cull Obsidian (motion capture |
|The Lion King||MoCap performer||N/A|
|Doctor Sleep||Stunt performer / movement coach||N/A|
|2020||The Call of the Wild||MoCap performer||Rail Worker / Buck|
|2022||Thor: Love and Thunder||Groot MoCap performer||N/A|
- SensaCine. "Terry Notary". SensaCine.com. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- Caranicas, Peter (Aug 9, 2011). "Terry Notary on 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'". Variety. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Dundjerski, Marina. "Monkey Business". UCLA Magazine (Fall 2001). Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Bhattacharya, Sanjiv (11 July 2014). "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: how to act like an ape". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "MEET THE TALENT – TERRY NOTARY". Animatrik.com. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Utichi, Joe (29 May 2017). "Meet Ruben Östlund, Director Of The Newly-Crowned Palme D'Or Winner, 'The Square' – Cannes". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "Ruben Östlund and Terry Notary on the Stunning Climax of 'The Square'". 1 November 2017.
- Yuan, Jada. "The Square's Monkey-Man Scene Is Bonkers. Here's How It Was Made".
- "How 'The Square' Used a Half-Naked Ape-Man to Pull Off the Film's Most "Intense and Unexpected" Scene".
- "How the most tense, uncomfortable scene of the year was achieved".
- Alter, Ethan (October 25, 2017). "Terry Notary on going ape in 'The Square' and playing teen Groot in 'Avengers'; plus, an exclusive clip". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on October 27, 2017. Retrieved October 26, 2017.