Terry Sanford High School
|Terry Sanford High School|
|2301 Fort Bragg Rd
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Cumberland County Schools|
|Vice principal||Bridget Fleming
|Number of students||1,400|
|Athletics conference||Cape Fear Valley Conference|
Terry Sanford High School (formerly known as Fayetteville High School) is a public high school in Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States. It is named after Terry Sanford, who was a North Carolina state senator, Governor of North Carolina and a United States Senator. It includes grades 9-12 and is a part of the Cumberland County School System and is one of the oldest schools in the system. Terry Sanford operates under the traditional 10 month calendar.
Terry Sanford was recognized by U.S. News & World Report in 2006 for receiving the Silver Medal in the annual list of America’s Best High Schools.
Terry Sanford offers honors level classes in most academic areas. The school is also home to the Global Studies program and a freshman academy.
- School of Global Studies
The Terry Sanford School of Global Studies is a choice program of three major components: Academic Excellence, Global Awareness, and Cultural Activities.
Terry Sanford's sports teams play under the name "Bulldogs". The school has 17 varsity teams which compete in the Cape Fear Valley Conference. Many of the school's athletic teams including the soccer and football teams compete in "Terry Sanford Stadium".
- Dwayne Allen, TE Indianapolis Colts (2012–Present).
- Greg Campbell, American journalist and nonfiction author.
- Jermaine Cole, American rapper and producer.
- Raymond Floyd, professional golfer.
- Gene Hobbs, founding board member of the non-profit Rubicon Foundation.
- Chris Hondros, (March 14, 1970 – April 20, 2011) was a Pulitzer Prize-nominated war photographer.
- Shea Ralph, current University of Connecticut Women's Basketball assistant coach.
- Jerry Richardson, owner of the Carolina Panthers and former member of the Baltimore Colts.
- Antwoine Sanders, former NFL safety.
- Holden Thorp, former Chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, current provost at Washington University in St. Louis.
- Jimmy Herring, Lead guitarist of Widespread Panic
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Terry Sanford High". Nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- "Profile :: Terry Sanford High School". Ccs.k12.nc.us. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- "TSHS Global Studies". Tshs.ccs.k12.nc.us. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- "TSHS:Sports Main Page". Tshs.ccs.k12.nc.us. 2008-12-16. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- Dukes, Brian (2013-07-15). "Author and journalist Greg Campbell to tell Chris Hondros' story". The Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Gene Hobbs Wins 2010 DAN/Rolex Diver of the Year Award". Divers Alert Network. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Woolverton, Paul (2011-04-22). "Chris Hondros: The human cost of war". The Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Is Another Championship Season in the Making?". New York Times. 1996-12-22. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- [dead link]
- Kiley, Kevin (February 18, 2013). "Stepping Out of the Spotlight". Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved 2013-09-17.