Sue-Patt as Benny Green in Grange Hill
|Died||May 2015 (aged 50)|
Walthamstow, London, England
|Occupation||Actor and Artist|
Sue-Patt was born in Islington, London, one of the six children of Alston, of Chinese and Jamaican descent, and May (née Stewart) Sue-Patt, of Jamaican and Scottish descent. He attended Sir William Collins Comprehensive School, and the Anna Scher Theatre School. Scher had been Sue-Patt's English teacher while he was at Ecclesbourne junior school before she opened her drama school.
Sue-Patt began his acting career with small parts in various Children's Film Foundation productions, a part in the 1973 public information film Lonely Water, and an appearance in General Hospital for ATV. He was given the part of Benny Green in Grange Hill after being spotted at his local drama group and playing football in the local park by Colin Cant, the series' original director. His character was the first pupil seen on screen in the first episode. "I basically played myself in Grange Hill", he later recalled. "There weren’t many black actors about on TV at that time. I had a great time, getting time off school to play football. It was a bit of a dream come true, really."
He also played a gunman in the Channel 4 Desmond's in 1990 (which featured an in-joke about his role in Grange Hill), and the BBC Schools programme, Scene (1990s). Sue-Patt played the role of Yusef in Alan Clarke's The Firm (1989).
Sue-Patt's death was announced on Twitter and his Facebook profile on 22 May 2015. Scotland Yard confirmed that officers had forced entry into a flat in Walthamstow after concerns were raised about the welfare of the occupant; however, the death was not treated as suspicious. It was reported that Sue-Patt may have died up to a month before his body was discovered.
- Farquhar, Simon (26 May 2015). "Terry Sue-Patt: Actor who made his name as football-obsessed Benny Green in the children's drama series Grange Hill". The Independent. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- Simon Hattenstone "Terry Sue-Patt: what became of the boy who was Grange Hill's Benny Green?", The Guardian, 27 June 2015
- "Terry Sue-Patt, actor - obituary", The Daily Telegraph (London), 24 April 2015
- Anthony Hayward "Terry Sue-Patt obituary", The Guardian (London), 28 May 2015
- "Obituaries: Terry Sue-Patt", The Times, 24 May 2015
- Grange Hill on Twitter: "It is my sad duty to inform you all that Terry Sue Patt who played Benny Green has passed away. RIP Terry" Twitter. 22 May 2015
- "Terry Sue-Patt found dead: Grange Hill's Benny Green dies aged 50". Daily Mirror. London. 22 May 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Grange Hill's Benny Green dead: Terry Sue-Patt found at home". BBC News. 23 May 2015. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Helen Nianias "Terry Sue-Patt dead: Friends pay tribute to Grange Hill actor as it emerges he may have been dead for a month", The Independent on Sunday (London), 24 May 2015