Terry Van Akkeren
|Terry Van Akkeren|
|Mayor of Sheboygan, Wisconsin|
March 5, 2012 – April 16, 2013
|Preceded by||Bob Ryan|
|Succeeded by||Mike Vandersteen|
|Wisconsin State Assembly|
|Succeeded by||Mike Endsley|
|Born||Terry Van Akkeren
March 10, 1954
|Spouse(s)||Sue Van Akkeren|
|Children||Beth, Peter, David, and Amy|
Terry Van Akkeren (born March 10, 1954) is an American politician, engineering technician, and die and tool maker.
Van Akkeren graduated from Sheboygan North High School and went to Lakeshore Technical College. He worked as an engineering technician and tool and die maker. He also served on the Sheboygan County Board of Supervisors. From 2002 until 2010 Van Akkeren served in the Wisconsin State Assembly, as a Democrat, representing the 26th Assembly District.
Van Akkeren unsuccessfully ran for Mayor of Sheboygan in 2009. He lost to Alderman Bob Ryan 3,968 votes to 5,891. He ran again in 2012 when a special recall election was called.
On November 2, 2010, Van Akkeren was defeated for election by Mike Endsley.
On February 21, 2012, Van Akkeren defeated Mayor Bob Ryan in the mayoral recall election. On March 5, 2012, Van Akkeren was sworn in as Mayor of Sheboygan. After serving the remaining months of former Mayor Ryan's four-year term, Van Akkeren lost his reelection bid to Sheboygan County Supervisor Mike Vandersteen by a vote of 4,059 to 3,862. On November 4, 2014, Terry Katsma defeated Van Akkeren for the Wisconsin State Assembly seat.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 2009-2010,' Biographical Sketch of Terry Van Akkeren, pg. 36
- Van Akkeren Defeats Ryan in Sheboygan Mayoral Recall Election
- Terry Van Akkeren To Be Sworn In As Mayor
- "Vandersteen unseats Van Akkeren as mayor" Sheboygan Press, April 3, 2013 http://sheboyganhub.sheboyganpress.com/article/20130403/SHE0101/304030277/
- Current Election Results
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money - Terry Van Akkeren
- Campaign 2008 campaign contributions at Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
|This article about a Wisconsin politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|