March 3, 1965|
|High school:||Sharon (PA)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Coaching stats at PFR|
Teryl Austin (born March 3, 1965) is an American football coach and former player who is the defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals. He was previously the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions from 2014 to 2017.
Austin was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania. He played college football at the University of Pittsburgh from 1984 to 1987, where he was a four-year letterman and three-year starter. He played in the 1984 Fiesta Bowl and the 1987 Bluebonnet Bowl. Austin played one season with the Montreal Machine of the World League of American Football in 1991.
Austin then began a career in coaching, landing a position as a graduate assistant at Penn State in 1991. In 1993, he accompanied fellow Penn State assistant Jim Caldwell to Wake Forest where he served as secondary coach. Austin went on to serve on the coaching staffs at Syracuse and Michigan before joining the Seattle Seahawks' staff in 2003, helping Seattle advance to Super Bowl XL in 2006.
He joined the Arizona Cardinals coaching staff as coach of defensive backs in 2007. In 2009, he helped the team reach Super Bowl XLIII, where the Cardinals would lose to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl.
On February 12, 2010, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the defensive coordinator for the Florida Gators. His tenure as defensive coordinator ended following the Gators' 37–24 victory over the Penn State Nittany Lions in the 2011 Outback Bowl, and head coach Urban Meyer's resignation in December 2010.
- "Nittany Lions Well-Represented on Super Bowl XLIII Teams," Penn State Department of Sports Information (January 21, 2009). Retrieved February 11, 2010.
- Robbie Andreu, "UF makes Austin hire official," Gainesville Sun (February 12, 2010). Retrieved February 12, 2010.
- "Super Bowl XLVII - San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens - February 3rd, 2013". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Twentyman, Tim (January 17, 2014). "Lions hire Teryl Austin to run their defense". detroitlions.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Bergman, Jeremy (January 8, 2018). "Bengals hire Teryl Austin as defensive coordinator". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.