United Kingdom (29 May 2003)
|United Kingdom , Republic of Ireland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic|
|Anthony Vollmer (CEO)
Ronan Dunne (Chairman)
|Owner||Tesco Mobile Services Ltd (45%)
Tesco Mobile Communications Ltd (45%)
O2 Communications Ltd (10%)
Tesco Mobile Limited (trading as Tesco Mobile) is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. It is operated by Tesco, using the O2 network as its carrier except in Hungary, where the network operator is Vodafone and Ireland, where the network operator is Three Ireland.
Network services supported in the UK: Voicemail, Call Waiting.
Network services not supported in the UK: Visual voicemail, Conference calling and Call Forwarding (also diverting).
Tesco Mobile Customer Care services are contracted out to O2 Communications Ltd in Bury, Greater Manchester. Device Technical support services are contracted out to LucidCX based in Bristol. Device repair services are contracted to A Novo UK Ltd.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015)|
On 19 December 2006, Tesco Ireland announced that it would enter into a joint venture with O2 Ireland to offer mobile telecommunications services. The service, which is Ireland's second MVNO (the defunct Cellular 3 having been the first), uses the O2 network but operates separately. It has been allocated the area code 089. As with Tesco's UK mobile service, it has been branded Tesco Mobile. The network commenced operation in 2007. Tesco Mobile has 200,000 customers in Ireland (as of 26 July 2011).
In March 2015 after it was announced that Three had successfully purchased O2 it was announced that the O2 Ireland network would go defunct and that the O2 Website / Shops and Network would merge into Three Ireland. As a result, Tesco Mobile Ireland were moved from being a MVNO on the O2 Network to being a MVNO on the Three Network.
Tesco Mobile Hungary will be a 50:50 joint venture providing Tesco Mobile branded services in Hungary through Tesco stores and on-line, using Vodafone’s technology and network.
On O2 December 2009, Tesco Stores SR announced that it would enter into a joint venture with Telefónica Slovakia to offer mobile telecommunications services. The service, which is Slovakia's second MVNO (the naymobile having been the first), uses the O2 network but operates separately.
In May 2013, Tesco Stores ČR a.s. announced that it would enter into a joint venture with Telefónica Czech Republic to offer mobile telecommunications services. The service, uses the O2 network but operates separately.
- on 10/3/2013 11:04:05 AM (2013-10-03). "Vollmer replaces Fogg as Tesco Telecom chief". Mobile Today. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- Ronan Dunne at LinkedIn
- https://www.duedil.com/company/04780736/tesco-mobile-limited/financials. Missing or empty
- "Telefónica O2 UK and Tesco Mobile joint-venture". Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- Collins, Katie (2014-01-30). "Tesco Mobile introduces free 4G for new and existing customers (Wired UK)". Wired.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "4G - Tesco Mobile". Shop.tescomobile.com. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "Tesco Mobile Limited in Hertfordshire - Free Companies House Name Check on Tesco Mobile Limited". Duedil.com. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "Tesco Mobile Coverage". UK Mobile Phone Coverage. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "O2 signs 136,000 contract customers". Mobile Today. Noble House. Retrieved 2006-03-18.[dead link]