Borough of Test Valley
Test Valley shown within Hampshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South East England|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Test Valley Borough Council|
|• Leadership||Leader & Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Kit Malthouse|
|• Total||242.3 sq mi (627.6 km2)|
|Area rank||67th (of 317)|
|• Rank||184th (of 317)|
|• Density||520/sq mi (200/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||97.9% White|
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
|ONS code||24UN (ONS)|
|OS grid reference|
Test Valley covers some 250 square miles (650 km2) of western Hampshire, stretching from boundaries with Southampton in the south to Newbury in the north. Test Valley is a predominantly rural area. It encompasses the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The River Test is the centrepiece of the Test Valley; the river is a chalk stream of particular beauty known for its fishing, salmon and trout, which Lord Crickhowell (onetime chairman of the National Rivers Authority) said "should be treated as a great work of art or music". Home of the Houghton Fishing Club, an exclusive fishing club founded in 1822, which meets in the Grosvenor Hotel in Stockbridge.
In December 2006, Sport England published a survey which revealed that residents of Test Valley were the 8th most active in England in sports and other fitness activities. 26.9% of the population participate at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes.
In March 2012 Test Valley was ranked 14th best rural area to live out of 119 local authority areas in Great Britain by the Halifax. This was based on factors including employment and income levels, the weather, health and life expectancy, education, crime, broadband access and other things.
As of 2 May 2019, the council affiliation was as follows:
|Party||Number of councillors|
Test Valley is separated into 20 wards:
- Ampfield and Braishfield
- Andover, Hampshire (Harroway)
- Andover, Hampshire (Millway)
- Andover, Hampshire (St Marys)
- Andover, Hampshire (Winton)
- Andover, Hampshire (Downlands)
- Andover, Hampshire (Romans)
- Anna (consisting the villages of Abbotts Ann, Goodworth Clatford and Upper Clatford)
- Blackwater (consisting the villages of Awbridge, Wellow and Sherfield English)
- Bourne Valley (consisting the villages of Faccombe, Hurstbourne Tarrant, Tangley and Vernham Dean)
- Charlton & the Pentons
- Chilworth, Nursling and Rownhams
- Harewood (consisting the villages of Barton Stacey, Bullington, Longparish and Wherwell)
- Mid Test
- North Baddesley
- Romsey, Hampshire (Abbey)
- Romsey (Cupernham)
- Romsey (Tadburn)
- Valley Park (an area of Chandler's Ford)
- Test Valley Arts Foundation is local charitable trust which exists to promote arts and local artists in the borough of Test Valley.
- "Sport England Active People Survey National Factsheet". 2007. Archived from the original (XLS) on January 2007. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Test Valley Scores in Top 20 Rural Areas to Live, Says The Halifax". Inspired Community. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Halifax Survey Ranks Test Valley as 14th Best Rural Area to Live". Inspired Community.
- "Borough Elections 2 May 2019 - Results". Test Valley Borough Council. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- "Map of Wards". Test Valley Borough Council. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Test Valley.|