Teton Gravity Research
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Founders||Steve Jones, Todd Jones, Dirk Collins, Corey Gavitt|
|Headquarters||Jackson Hole, WY, USA|
|Products||advertisements, product promotionals, online media, consumer products, action sports films, live events|
|Services||advertising, marketing, brand placement, cinematography, production of commercial television, film, and custom digital content|
Teton Gravity Research (TGR) is an extreme sports media company based in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The company was founded in 1996 by brothers Steve and Todd Jones, as well as friends Dirk Collins and Corey Gavitt. The group launched the company to create products that came from the perspective of athletes, showcased youth culture, and fostered the growth of high-risk action sports.
TGR works closely with various extreme athletes to create multimedia content, advertisements, products, and events that promote the inherently very dangerous types of action sports that typically involve combinations of high elevations and speed, hence a high risk of serious personal injury.
TGR has produced 32 award-winning action sports films rooted in skiing, snowboarding and surfing, and numerous original television broadcast series. TGR is known for producing action-sports films with environmental messages, yet it also produces advertising for a wide range of manufacturers. The company is a key partner to organizations such as the Surfrider Foundation, Protect Our Winters, and 1% For The Planet.
TGR markets to millions of people each year through its online platform, tetongravity.com. In addition to featuring TGR's athletes and films, the website offers advertising and editorial content, as well as extreme sports videos, stories, and photos contributed by community members. TGR also creates a line of merchandise rooted in youth culture and the heavily branded, extensively marketed extreme-sports lifestyle.
TGR has produced national television commercials for brands such as Apple, Nissan, Jeep, Under Armour, Energizer, and The North Face. TGR's creative direction, cinematography, early adoption of new technology, and experience filming in remote and extreme environments have made the company known for creating action-sports content, especially via aerial cinematography.
In April 2013, TGR became the official launch partner for the GSS C520, a camera platform which TGR co-founder Todd Jones described as, "the most advanced portable gyro stabilized system in the world."  TGR produced a reel using footage the company shot while first using the GSS C520, which was recognized as a "Vimeo Staff Pick." 
On September 21, 2013, TGR awarded the largest cash prize in skiing history, $100,000, to Dale Talkington as the first-ever winner of The Co-Lab, an open source video contest in which skiers from around the world submitted video edits and fans voted online to determine the finalists. Dale Talkington's fellow finalists voted and Talkington was determined to be the winner.
The Deeper, Further, Higher Trilogy
Teton Gravity Research is largely known for its Deeper, Further, Higher film trilogy, which continues TGR's focus on high-injury-risk extreme alpine sports. These three films showcase Jeremy Jones, who is a 10-time Snowboarder magazine "Big Mountain Rider of the Year" and the younger brother of TGR co-founders Steve and Todd Jones. Jeremy Jones revolutionized backcountry snowboarding with Deeper, his 2010 ode to splitboarding and human-powered adventure. His 2012 sequel Further took him to the planet's most remote mountain ranges and earned him a nod as a 2013 National Geographic 'Adventurer of the Year'. His environmental advocacy work with Protect Our Winters won him recognition as one of President Barack Obama's 2013 'Champions of Change'. TGR released Higher in September 2014, which was filmed on location in Alaska, Wyoming, California, Massachusetts, and Nepal.
On March 5, 2014, Jeremy Jones and Teton Gravity Research were featured in an episode of 60 Minutes Sports.
Teton Gravity Research Athletes
TGR productions have included athletes such as Doug Coombs, Jeremy Jones, Tommy Moe, Seth Morrison, Johan Olofsson, Jeremy Nobis, Tanner Hall, C.R. Johnson, J.P. Auclair, J.F. Cusson, Andy Irons, John John Florence, Sage Cattabriga-Alosa, Ian McIntosh, Travis Rice, Angel Collinson, Sammy Carlson, Ian Walsh, Jamie O'Brien, Wiley Miller, Xavier De La Rue, Tom Burt, Chris Benchetler, Scotty Lago, Bryan Iguchi, Terje Haakonsen and Daron Rahlves.
TGR is a member of 1% For The Planet, Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy (BICEP), the Surfrider Foundation, and Protect Our Winters, which was founded by TGR athlete Jeremy Jones.
- "The Continuum" - 1996
- "Harvest" - 1997
- "Uprising" - 1998
- "The Realm" - 1999
- "Area 51" - 1999
- "Further" - 2000
- "Los Alamos" - 2000
- "Mind the Addiction" - 2001
- "Subject To Change" - 2001
- "Gondwana" - 2001
- "The Prophecy" -2002
- "Salad Days" - 2002
- "High Life" - 2003
- "Soul Purpose" - 2004
- "Tangerine Dream" - 2005
- "Anomaly" - 2006
- "The Big One" -2006
- "Shack Therapy"(Surf film) - 2006
- "Lost and Found" - 2007
- "Under the Influence" - 2008
- "Out There" (Surf film) - 2008
- "Re:Session" - 2009
- "Generations"- 2009
- "Deeper" - 2010
- "Light the Wick" - 2010
- "One for the Road" - 2011
- "The Dream Factory" - 2012
- "Further" - 2012
- "Way of Life" - 2013
- "Almost Ablaze" - 2014
- "Higher" - 2014
- "unReal" - 2015
- "Paradise Waits" - 2015
- "Tight Loose" - 2016
Since its inception, TGR has produced television series for a range of networks and companies including NBC, Outside Television, Showtime, CarbonTV and Fuel TV. The company has also provided stock footage for clients including Red Bull Media House, The Weather Channel, Michelob, Apple, and HBO.
As of Aug 01,2012 the forum statistics in 'tgr' forums totalled:
- Threads 184,553
- Posts 2,727,361
- Members 90,666
The forums are as follows:
- Ski / Snowboard: Communicate with fellow mountain sports addicts.
- Summits: Maggots unite! Go forth and pillage as an unruly mob! -- Various Summit info can be found here.
- Sprocket Rockets: Bike junkies check in here!
- Kayak: Paddlers unite! Hook up here with your white water bretheren!
- Surf: Surfers gather here for opinions, stories and news on the greatest breaks.
- The Slide Zone: Info and discussion on avalanche conditions, incidents, tools, etc...
- Gimp Central: Injury / Rehab / training discussion
- Ask TGR: Check in here to ask TGR that question that's been driving you nuts!
- The Padded Room: A place for you to dump stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else...
- Snow Conditions and Weather: Leave your Snowpack and weather observations here.''
- Tech Talk: You asked for it --- Talk techie stuff here.
- Gear Swap: Sell / Swap your gear here
- Work Or Lack Of It: Jobs, Work Classifieds, and all that other good work
- Hook Up: Hook up and Ride Together
- Political Asshattery: Where you put your ranting and raving about politics related shit
- MUSIC, BOOKS, MOVIES: By request - Media talk here
- Photo/Video Talk: Discuss photography/videography tips & techniques
- Fishing: Not just fly fishing
- TGR Forum Archives: Treads that have been inactive for over a year.
- The Hall of Fame: The best of the best
- Steve Knopper (8 February 2013). "Snowboarder Jeremy Jones's Secret Code of Snow - Creating - WSJ". WSJ.
- "Super-Fat Days, Coma Nights, and the Quest for Tearjerker Footy". Outside Online.
- "Ski film company now reaches millions". Jackson Hole News&Guide.
- "Best freeskiing sites on the Internet". X Games.
- "TGR Announces La Familia". Newschoolers.com.
- "TGR Studios".
- Kasia Cieplak-Mayr von Baldegg. "This Is How You Shoot Aerial Footage of San Francisco". The Atlantic.
- "Ski movie companies acquire high-tech new camera equipment". X Games.
- "How Do They Film Ski Videos?". Outside Online.
- Teton Gravity Research Aerial Reel - The Bay Area in 4K. Vimeo.
- "Dale Talkington wins Teton Gravity Research Co-Lab contest and $100,000". X Games.
- "Video: Snowboarder Blends Exploration With Research". The New York Times. 6 March 2014.
- "ESPN". ESPN.com.
- "Jeremy Jones Rides Outside the Lines". mensjournal.com.
- National Geographic Society. "Jeremy Jones, 2013 Adventurers of the Year - National Geographic". National Geographic.
- "Jeremy jones". The White House.
- "Jeremy Jones' HIGHER movie trailer - TransWorld SNOWboarding". TransWorld SNOWboarding. 6 November 2013.
- "Jeremy Jones: Snowboarding Pioneer".
- "The Future of Skiing: Jeremy Jones". Outside Online.
- "Watch the best outdoor shows for free on CarbonTV". CarbonTV. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- "The Co-Lab Contest Videos - Teton Gravity Research". Outside Television.
- Kotler, Steven (2014) The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance Houghton Mifflin Harcourt ISBN 9781477800836 pg 154
- McGrath, John B. (2011) It's All Part of the Alpine Experience ISBN 9781467894456 pg 77