Tetra Laval is a privately held multinational corporation of Swedish origin, with headquarters in Pully, Switzerland. The Tetra Laval Group provides packaging, processing and distribution solutions for a range of foodstuffs, including liquids, fruit and vegetables, ice-cream and processed food, additionally offering systems for agricultural production and herd management. The group operates in five business segments: milk production, food preparation, food processing, food packaging and food distribution. The Tetra Laval Group includes Tetra Pak, DeLaval and Sidel. Tetra Laval was included in the Thomson Reuters 2011 list of Top 100 Global Innovators.
The Tetra Laval Group
- Tetra Pak develops and manufactures processing, distribution and packaging systems for food and liquids.
- DeLaval develops and produces systems for milk production and animal husbandry.
- Sidel develops and manufactures plastic packaging and complete bottling lines.
Tetra Laval AB operates as a subsidiary to the holding company Tetra Laval International SA. Tetra Laval International SA provides the financing, risk management and investment support needed by the Tetra Laval Group, with the additional responsibility of managing overall legal and financial structure and tax planning.
The Tetra Laval Group was created in 1993 after Tetra Pak's acquisition of Alfa Laval in 1991 with the aim of forming a coherent structure under which both companies could operate within their respective fields. The part of Alfa Laval that was involved in processing was integrated into Tetra Pak while the part that produced farm equipment was recreated as a separate entity under the name of Alfa Laval Agri, later renamed DeLaval after Alfa Laval's founder Gustaf de Laval. In 2000 Tetra Laval sold the part of Alfa Laval that was not directly involved in their business to Swedish investment company Industri Kapital, however retaining a part of the shares. In 2001 Tetra Laval acquired French plastic bottle manufacturer Sidel. The merger was subject to anti-competitivity scrutiny from the European Commission but was finally allowed to go through after an appeal to the European Court of Justice.
Facts and figures
|Tetra Laval Group||35,020|
Net sales 2017 (m€):
|Tetra Laval Group||13,910|
All above numbers were updated June 2018
The Tetra Laval Group has a pronounced policy for environmental excellence and sustainability. Amongst others, the Group has established a prize for its suppliers within the transport sector, the Tetra Laval Environmental Award, to encourage sustainability within the supply chain.
Tetra Laval has a long-standing policy of support for community projects, most notably within disaster relief support. In 2010, Tetra Laval provided in-kind and financial relief support to Haiti, Russia, Pakistan and Brazil and, in early 2011, Japan.
- Tetra Laval International SA Bloomberg Businessweek, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Tetra Laval Group Archived 30 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Tetra Laval Annual Report, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Tetra Laval Honoured for Innovation Food Ingredients First, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Thomson Reuters' 2011 List of Top 100 Global Innovators Thomson Reuters, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Tetra Laval AB Bloomberg Businessweek, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Tetra Laval Archived 17 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine. On Green, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Our History Archived 8 December 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Alfa Laval, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Industri Kapital has agreed to buy Alfa Laval from Tetra Laval Archived 26 January 2013 at Archive.is Industri Kapital, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Where Next for Europe's Biggest Food Packager? The Economist, retrieved 10 December 2011
- Tetra Laval II: the Coming of Age of the Judicial Review of Merger Decisions Matteo F. Bay and Javier Ruiz Calzado in World Competition 28(4), p. 433-453, 2005
- Driving Sustainable Innovation Archived 30 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Tetra Laval Annual Report, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Tetra Laval Honors Graebel International with Climate Award Archived 24 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Graebel International, retrieved 9 December 2011
- Aid to Victims of Natural Disaster Part of our Business Responsibility Archived 30 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Tetra Laval Annual Report, retrieved 9 December 2011