Tetris Effect is an upcoming tile-matching puzzle video game developed by Japanese studio Resonair and published by Enhance, Inc. The game was announced immediately prior to the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2018, and will be released on PlayStation 4 (including optional support for PlayStation VR in late 2018).
Tetris Effect has been in development since 2012, and is inspired by the phenomenon of the same name, where after playing Tetris for a long period of time, players would continue to see falling Tetris blocks for some time after quitting the game, an element related to the zone concept. Game Director Tetsuya Mizuguchi had wanted for many years to produce a music-based game around Tetris, but its licensing had been held by Electronic Arts, making it difficult to use. Around 2012, Mizuguchi began speaking with Henk Rogers, the founder of The Tetris Company that now owns the rights to Tetris. Mizuguchi and Rogers spoke to developing a version of Tetris set to music with a "zone" that players would achieve while playing, leading to the start of development of the game. The PlayStation 4 version will be compatible with the PlayStation VR headset.
Core Tetris gameplay still applies, where players try to place tetrominos in a playfield to clear complete lines, incorporating themes and music across thirty different stages with gameplay tied to the beat of the music. According to Mizuguchi, the objective of the game was "to amplify and enhance that same magical feeling where you just can’t get it out of your head, and not just the falling shapes, but all the visuals, the sounds, the music". A "Zone" mechanic allows players to place several blocks at one time that can potentially clear out more than sixteen lines at once, dubbed a decahexatris. The game will include a meta-game leveling system for the player that will lead to new challenges as they progress.
- "Tetris Effect - IGN.com".
- Schreier, Jason. "The makers of Rez and Lumines are making a Tetris game, Tetris Effect, which will be out for PlaySta".
- Skrebels, Joe (6 June 2018). "Tetris Effect Announced, a New Game from the Creator of Rez".
- "Tetris Effect is a PS4 and VR puzzler by the Rez Infinite team". 6 June 2018.
- "Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Tetris Effect coming to PS4, PSVR this fall - VG247". 6 June 2018.
- Stark, Chelsea (June 15, 2018). "Tetris Effect has been in development for 6 years". Polygon. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Orland, Kyle (June 6, 2018). "The Tetris Effect is the trippy block-stacking game we didn't know we needed". Ars Technica. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- Massongill, Justin (June 25, 2018). "Tetris Effect Adds A New Strategic Layer to the Decades-Old Game… And it Works". Playstation Blog. Retrieved June 25, 2018.