Texas Across the River
|Texas Across The River|
|Directed by||Michael Gordon|
|Produced by||Harry Keller|
|Written by||Wells Root
|Music by||Frank De Vol
James Van Heusen
|Edited by||Gene Milford|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Box office||$4.5 million (est. US/ Canada rentals)
707,549 admissions (France)
Phoebe Ann Naylor (Rosemary Forsyth) is about to be wed to Don Andrea Baldazar, El Duce de la Casala (Alain Delon) in Louisiana in 1845. The festivities are broken up with the arrival of Yancey Cottle (Stuart Anderson) and his relatives, who form a U.S. Dragoons troop under the command of Cottle's cousin, Captain Rodney Stimpson (Peter Graves).
When Cottle, who wished to wed Phoebe Ann himself is accidentally killed, Don Andrea is charged with murder. He flees, promising to meet up with Phoebe Ann across the river in Texas, not yet a U.S. state.
In the wake of the failed wedding, Phoebe Ann is sent to Texas to lie low until the scandal blows over. Her wagon train is helped by Sam Hollis (Dean Martin) and his Indian sidekick, Kronk (Joey Bishop).
Along the way, Hollis gets separated from the wagon train and meets up with Don Andrea, whom he calls Baldy. The two form an antagonistic relationship, as well as a love-triangle with Phoebe Ann, made more complex by the Indian maiden Loneta (Tina Aumont), and the men's attempts to keep a Comanche raiding party at bay.
The movie is notable for its gags, namely:-
The manner in which Cottle is accidentally killed (Don Andrea is pushed by a barging door from behind, causing his head to hit Cottle's bum, causing Cottle to fall out of a balcony).
Don Andrea making his escape via a food/meal elevator.
Kronk admitting to Hollis that he can't read the Commanche's smoke signals because he's from a different tribe.
The Commanche warriors' unconventional wise-cracking throughout the movie.
A Commanche brave mis-firing, causing himself to be hit by his own bow in the process.
Hollis being shot on the bottom by a Commanche arrow.
Kronk throwing his empty revolver during the battle causing two Commanches to fall off their horses.
- Dean Martin as Sam Hollis
- Alain Delon as Don Andrea Baldazar, El Duce de la Casala (a.k.a. Baldy)
- Rosemary Forsyth as Phoebe Ann Naylor
- Joey Bishop as Kronk
- Peter Graves as Captain Rodney Stimpson
- Michael Ansara as Iron Jacket
- Andrew Prine as Sibley
- Richard Farnsworth as Comanche Medicine Man
- Tina Aumont as Lonetta (credited as Tina Marquand)
Filming began January 1966.
The film is now available on DVD through Universal's MOD program. The VHS version is long out of print.
- "Big Rental Pictures of 1966", Variety, 4 January 1967 p 8
- Box office information for film at Box Office Story
- Delon, Dean Martin Team in Epic Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 01 Nov 1965: c17.
- "Texas Across the River," Lyrics Playground, 2005-09, retrieved 2008-10-03.