Texas City Prairie Preserve
|Texas City Prairie Preserve|
|Location||Moses Lake, Texas, United States|
|Nearest city||Texas City|
|Governing body||Nature Conservancy|
The Texas City Prairie Preserve is a 2,300-acre (9.3 km2) nature preserve located on the shores of Moses Lake and Galveston Bay in Texas City, Texas in the United States, near Houston. The preserve was created in 1995 by the Nature Conservancy thanks to a $2.2 million donation of land by ExxonMobil. The primary goal in creating the preserve was to save the endangered Attwater's Prairie Chicken species, though the preserve protects coastal prairie and supports a wide variety of wildlife.
The terrain of the preserve includes prairie and wetland habitats, enabled in large part by restoration efforts in recent decades. The preserve includes 40 acres (0.16 km2) of limited public access areas including a small hiking trail. The remainder of the preserve is closed but available for tours and access at the discretion of preserve staff, including birding events and volunteer events.
The preserve is part of the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail, a network of preserves and trails along the Texas coast featuring habitats for birds and other wildlife.
1999 the Nature Conservancy commissioned an oil and gas operator to set up a new gas well inside the preserve. The location was "the closest to where the prairie chickens normally hung out, or normally boomed."
In 2010 a paper was presented at a Society of Petroleum Engineers conference stating that the original well "died in March 2003, and was unable to flow due to excessive water production." As new well was drilled in the same area in late 2007, the new well was for oil and the original was for nature gas.
Due to a change in release strategy by the Attwater's Prairie Chicken Recovery Team, captive-bred bird releases were stopped in 2011. There are no more Attwater's Prairie Chicken on the land as of 2012.
- "The Nature Conservancy: Texas City Prairie Preserve". The Nature Conservancy. Archived from the original on December 1, 2008. Retrieved 29 Oct 2009.
- Whitted, Leigh (21 Oct 2009). "Texas City". Houston Zoo. Retrieved 18 Jan 2010.
- "Galveston FeatherFest Birding Field Trips". Galveston FeatherFest. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- "The Nature Conservancy: Texas City Prairie Preserve Volunteer Work Days". The Nature Conservancy. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- Gulf Coast Bird Observatory: Texas City Prairie Preserve
- Nature Conservancy: Texas City Prairie Preserve
|This article related to a protected area in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|