Texas State Highway 178
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length:||2.860 mi (4.603 km)|
|Existed:||1991 – present|
|West end:||NM 136 between El Paso and Santa Teresa, NM|
|SH 20 in El Paso|
|East end:||I-10 / US 85 / US 180 in El Paso|
State Highway 178 or SH 178 is a Texas state highway in the city of El Paso in El Paso County maintained by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). The 3.0-mile (4.8 km) route designated in 1991 connects New Mexico State Road 136 at the New Mexico state line between El Paso and Santa Teresa, NM to a freeway carrying Interstate 10, U.S. Route 85, and U.S. Route 180 on the west side of El Paso. The route together with NM 136 is a major urban roadway connecting an international border crossing with I-10. The route also has an important intersection with SH 20.
The route's numerical designation was previously assigned to a road in the Texas Panhandle during the 1930s. An extension to the current route potentially doubling its length was considered and rejected in recent years.
Hartley and Moore counties
SH 178 was previously proposed by 1933 as a connector route between the cities of Hartley and Dumas in Hartley and Moore counties in the Texas Panhandle. By 1936, the Hartley County portion had been completed with the Moore County portion following by 1940. The route had been reassigned as US 87 during the 1939 general redescription of the state highway system.
El Paso County
SH 178 is a major urban thoroughfare on El Paso's west side that is locally known as Artcraft Rd. The route is a four to six-lane divided highway beginning at NM 136, or Pete V. Domenici International Highway, at the New Mexico state line between El Paso and Santa Teresa in Doña Ana County, NM. The route proceeds east along Artcraft Rd. crossing the Rio Grande shortly before intersecting SH 20 at Doniphan Dr. The route then continues east ending at the combined I-10, US 85, and US 180 freeway where the roadway continues eastward as Paseo del Norte Rd.
|0||0.0||NM 136 (Pete V. Domenici International Hwy.) – Santa Teresa, NM, San Jerónimo, Chih.||Western terminus at New Mexico state line|
|2.2||3.5||SH 20 (Doniphan Dr.) – Socorro, Canutillo|
|3.0||4.8||I-10 / US 85 / US 180 – Socorro, Anthony||I-10 exit 8; eastern terminus.|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway No. 178". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Official Map of the Highway System of Texas (Map). ⅞"=31 mi. Texas State Highway Commission. June 15, 1933. § B10-B11. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Official Map of the Highway System of Texas (Map). 1"=29 mi. Texas State Highway Commission. March 1, 1936. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- General Highway Map, Moore County, Texas (Map). 1"=2 mi. Texas State Highway Department. February 1, 1940. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "U.S. Highway No. 87". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Google (2010-07-13). "Texas State Highway 178" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-07-13.