The current Text Santa logo
|Presented by||Christine Bleakley
Ant & Dec
(See full list)
|Opening theme||"My Favourite Time of Year"
by The Florin Street Band
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Location(s)||The London Studios|
|Running time||65, 150 minutes (2011)
180 minutes (2012–13)
200 minutes (2014)
|Production company(s)||ITV Studios|
|Original channel||ITV, STV, UTV|
|Picture format||16:9: 1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||11 December 2011– present|
|Related shows||From the Heart
Text Santa is a charity initiative set up in 2011 by ITV to support UK charities during the Christmas period. The appeal to the public is to donate money mainly via text donation and profits from merchandise. The telethon is hosted by popular ITV presenting duos, these are: long time collaborators Ant & Dec, Phillip Schofield and Christine Bleakley as well as Paddy McGuinness and Alesha Dixon. Each presenting duo hosts a segment of the show.
In 2014, the appeal supported six UK-based charities; Alzheimer's Society, The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, Marie Curie Cancer Care, Teenage Cancer Trust, Together for Short Lives and WellChild.
|Ant & Dec|
All of the money raised gets split between the charities supported by the appeal, these are:
|Carers UK||Barnardo's||Alzheimer's Society|
|Crisis||Anthony Nolan||BeatBullying||The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association|
|Help the Hospices||Age UK||Marie Curie Cancer Care|
|Samaritans||Marie Curie Cancer Care||British Heart Foundation||Teenage Cancer Trust|
|WRVS||Together for Short Lives||CLIC Sargent||Together for Short Lives|
|Great Ormond Street Hospital||Whizz-Kidz||Help the Hospices||WellChild|
|The Noah's Ark Appeal||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Yorkhill Children's Foundation|
Merchandise including santa hats and greetings cards have been available to buy from the Text Santa website with all profits going to the charities.
The Text Santa theme music was created by British composer Leigh Haggerwood of The Florin Street Band, who re-worked his Christmas song "My Favourite Time of Year" especially for the appeal, creating theme and background music along with various other original compositions. The song - with its sweeping string melodies and critically acclaimed Victorian-themed music video - has gained worldwide popularity and was recently performed by the United States Army Band in Washington D.C. Leigh Haggerwood is proud of the songs association with the Text Santa campaign and has pledged to support it each year.
|2013||The 2013 cast of The Big Reunion||"I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday"||21|
The 2011 appeal aired in two parts. The launch show aired on 11 December 2011 and was hosted by Phillip Schofield and Christine Bleakley. The main show aired on Christmas Eve (24 December 2011) with Ant & Dec and Holly Willoughby as presenters.
|Launch Show||Sunday 11 December 2011||21:30–22:35||Phillip Schofield
|Main Show||Saturday 24 December 2011||19:30–21:00||Ant & Dec|
On 27 November 2011, at The Kia Oval Cricket Ground, thousands of people attempted a Guinness World Record for the largest Santa gathering. Stephen Mulhern and Diversity entertained the participants. However not enough people turned out for the record attempt of 13,200 Santas.
The 2012 telethon aired live on 21 December 2012. The first hour of the telethon was hosted by Ant & Dec, the second by Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby, and the third by Christine Bleakley and Paddy McGuinness, all from The London Studios.
|Text Santa Starts Here
|Friday 21 December 2012||18:55–19:00||Ant & Dec|
|Text Santa: One More Time
|00:00–1:15||Ant & Dec
- Within other shows
- A special edition of The Jeremy Kyle Show aired at 09:25 featuring people with many disabilities and talked about how the Text Santa charities helped them and their families get through their difficulties. Kyle treated these people with special trips and featured a guest appearance from Only Boys Aloud.
- A celebrity special of The Chase aired at 17:00 on Friday 21 December for Text Santa, featuring Bradley Walsh as host with contestants Lorraine Kelly, Craig Charles, Jamelia and Dom Joly. Together they raised £22,000 for the Text Santa charities.
- A special edition of Celebrity Juice aired on ITV & UTV at 23.15, and on STV at midnight on 21 December and was once again be presented by Keith Lemon, Fearne Cotton and Holly Willoughby with panellists Davina McCall, Louis Smith, Aston Merrygold, Stacey Solomon and Simon Gregson.
- Laura Hamilton and Jeff Brazier presented a special 45-minute CITV programme at 16:00 on Friday 21 December called Text Santa: CITV Special.
- On 2 December 2012, around 8,500 people took part in a 'Santa Dash' in Liverpool, attempting a Guinness World Record for the largest Santa gathering whilst raising money for Text Santa, however they didn't break the record of 13,200 santas.
- On 6 December 2012, the Biggest Bag Pack Ever took place in 200 Asda stores nationwide, celebrities including Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford helped out in the Watford branch.
- eBay auctions took place to raise money for Text Santa, items sold included This Morning's sofa which sold for £1,200 and a tour of the Daybreak studios in London which sold for £510.
The 2013 telethon aired live on 20 December 2013. The first hour of the telethon was hosted by Ant & Dec, the second by Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby, and the third and final hour by Christine Bleakley and Paddy McGuinness, all broadcast live from The London Studios.
|Text Santa Starts Here
|Friday 20 December 2013||18:55–19:00||Ant & Dec|
|Highlights show||23:50-01:05||Ant & Dec
- Within other shows
- 15p from each vote on the entertainment show Stepping Out, went to the Text Santa charities.
- This Morning's 'Take a Moment' campaign raised £250,000 for the Text Santa appeal. The total was announced live on This Morning on December 2013 by Ruth Langsford, Andi Peters and Eamonn Holmes.
- On 20 December, there was a Text Santa 'takeover' on ITV, with the some of the daytime programmes showing donation clips throughout the daytime schedule.
- A Text Santa special of The Jeremy Kyle Show aired at 09:25 on 20 December. It starred Jeremy Kyle who gave deserving children a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Lapland.
- A Text Santa special of Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover aired from Burgess Hill in West Sussex at 14:00 on 20 December, where the team performed a makeover of the lounge at The Cherry Tree Activity Centre, run by the Text Santa charity Age UK.
- A Text Santa special of Dickinson's Real Deal aired from Edgbaston in Birmingham at 15:00 on 20 December.
- A Text Santa special of Show Me the Telly aired at 16:00 on 20 December. The show, presented by Richard Bacon featured "legends" Chris Tarrant, Simon Gregson and Vanessa Feltz and television critics Boyd Hilton, Ian Hyland and Kevin O'Sullivan who won £3,000 for Text Santa.
- A celebrity special of The Chase aired at 17:00 on 20 December, featuring Bradley Walsh as host with celebrity contestants from the ITV News, Matt Barbet, Alastair Stewart, Romilly Weeks and Charlene White. Together they raised £55,000 for the Text Santa appeal.
- On 5 December 2013, Text Santa broke the Guinness World Record for the largest number of pantomime horses in a race over 100 metres.
- eBay auctions took place to raise money for Text Santa, items sold included Phillip Schofield's face made of chocolate.
In May 2014 it was revealed that Text Santa would return for the fourth time in December 2014. The 2014 telethon was aired live on 19 December 2014, a couple of weeks after the launch show, hosted by Phillip Schofield.
The presenting line-up changed slightly, with Holly Willoughby off on maternity leave, Alesha Dixon joined co-host Paddy McGuinness for a segment of the show, whilst Phillip Schofield was reunited with his Dancing on Ice co-host Christine Bleakley. Ant & Dec returned to the show for the fourth time.
On 19 December, the part of Text Santa was hosted by Ant & Dec, the second by Phillip Schofield and Christine Bleakley, and the remainder of the show by Paddy McGuinness and Alesha Dixon. It was broadcast from The London Studios.
|Phillip's Live 24 Hour TV Marathon
|Monday 1 December 2014||11:00–23:59||Phillip Schofield|
|Tuesday 2 December 2014||00:00-11:00|
|Main show||Friday 19 December 2014||20:00-21:20||Ant & Dec|
|Highlights show||00:05-01:25||Ant & Dec
- Within other shows
- 15p from each vote on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, went to the 2014 Text Santa charities.
- A Text Santa special of The Jeremy Kyle Show aired at 09:25 on 19 December. It saw Jeremy Kyle giving deserving children a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Lapland.
- A Text Santa special of Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover aired from Woodford Green in Essex at 14:00 on 19 December, where the team performed a makeover of the Buddy Hut at Haven House Children's Hospice, which is supported by Text Santa.
- On 18 November 2014, a Text Santa edition of Tipping Point was recorded. It featured Good Morning Britain presenters Charlotte Hawkins, Susanna Reid, Andi Peters and Richard Arnold, with normal host Ben Shephard as the host. It was aired on 19 December at 16:00. They raised a combined total of over £13,000 for the Text Santa charities.
- There was a Text Santa celebrity special of the game show The Cube, hosted by Phillip Schofield. It aired during the live telethon on 19 December and starred Paddy McGuinness and Alesha Dixon. They were the first ever people to take on The Cube together. Leigh Francis' alter ego Keith Lemon also made a guest appearance as 'The Body' as well as guests The Chuckle Brothers. They won £100,000 for the charities.
- Mel B and Warwick Davis guest starred in a Coronation Street sketch.
- There was a Birds of a Feather sketch for Text Santa starring regular cast including Lesley Joseph, Linda Robson and Pauline Quirke as well as a guest appearance from Paul O'Grady, playing Santa Claus.
- The Downton Abbey sketch for Text Santa guest starred George Clooney, Jeremy Piven and Joanna Lumley.
- eBay auctions took place to raise money for Text Santa, items sold included tickets to The X Factor final at Wembley Arena and a set tour of Downton Abbey.
Phillip's Live 24 Hour TV Marathon
The 24 hour show has been nominated for a 2015 Broadcast Digital Award in the category of "Best Sports or Live Event Coverage".
- Running order
1 December 2014
- 11:00 – TV marathon begins, Phillip co-hosts This Morning with Amanda Holden.
- 12:30 – Phillip is a guest panellist on Loose Women alongside Ruth Langsford, Penny Lancaster and Jane Moore.
- 13:30 – Phillip is given a tour of ITN News office before being interviewed by Steve Scott on the ITV Lunchtime News.
- 14:30 – Phillip discovers his next big challenge for Text Santa, where he has to Abseil down the side of Kent house
- 15:30 – Phillip is joined by Penny Lancaster to meet some of the people who Text Santa help.
- 16:00 – Phillip is joined by his former Dancing on Ice co-host Christine Bleakley as well as dancers Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace. There is also an exclusive look at the brand new CITV animation with footballer Frank Lampard.
- 17:00 – There is a special performance of Spamalot with Joe Pasquale and Todd Carty and there's a chance to bid on celebrity outfits with Myleene Klass.
- 18:00 – Phillip is joined by Peter Dixon as they take a train ride along London's South Bank, meeting some of the X Factor finalists along the way as well as Xtra Factor presenter Sarah Jane Crawford, before helping turns the London Eye red, one of the Text Santa colours.
- 18:50 – Phillip's live national weather forecast for Text Santa, broadcast live from the Good Morning Britain studio and under guidance from Lucy Verasamy.
- 19:00 – Phillip is joined by Linda Robson who talks about one of the Text Santa charities Marie Curie. Michael Ball dropped by to talk about his album and Amanda Holden joined Phillip live in the studio. Phillip went live to Ant and Dec in Australia ahead of the latest episode of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!.
- 19:30 – Phillip does a live Continuity announcement on ITV to Coronation Street.
- 20:30 – Phillip does a Continuity announcement for I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, before being joined by former campmates Ashley Roberts, Christopher Biggins, Kerry Katona, Tony Blackburn, Amy Willerton, Janet Street-Porter and Joe Pasquale who share their experiences in the jungle. They also watch the latest episode live, in their own edition of Gogglebox.
- 22:00 – After doing a Continuity announcement for the News At Ten, Pixie Lott treats Phillip to a special performance and Phillip's hosts his own celebrity pub quiz with celebrities including Wayne Sleep, Chico Slimani, Ashleigh and Pudsey, Liz McClarnon, Heidi Range, Lydia Rose Bright, Ferne McCann, Rav Wilding, Lauren Goodger and Bobby Norris.
- 23:00 – After Phillip made his last Continuity announcement, boyband The Vamps joined Phillip for a special performance and magician and star of ITV2's Tricked, Ben Hanlin challenges Phillip to walk on glass.
2 December 2014
- 00:00 – Phillip is joined by Davina McCall who have a midnight feast on the roof of Kent house.
- 01:00 – Phillip is joined by the cast of Made in Chelsea and This Morning agony aunt Denise Robertson, answers the dilemmas of some familiar faces.
- 02:00 – Phillip is joined by a dream expect.
- 05:00 – Phillip gets ready to appear on Good Morning Britain
- 06:00-07:30 – Phillip joined the team on Good Morning Britain.
- 07:30 – Phillip prepares to meet the Prime Minister David Cameron
- 08:00 – Phillip interviewed David Cameron live from 10 Downing Street.
- 08:30 – Phillip cooks breakfast for Lorraine Kelly and joins her on her show, Lorraine.
- 10:00 – Phillip starts his rehearsals for This Morning programme.
- 10:30 – Phillip goes live on This Morning, co-hosting with Amanda Holden.
- 11:00 – TV marathon ends on ITV's This Morning programme.
- "Nine charities to benefit from ITV1's Text Santa campaign". UK Fundraising. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "JustTextGiving to power ITV's Text Santa campaign". UK Fundraising. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Paddy McGuinness joins Ant & Dec, Schofield for second 'Text Santa'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Text Santa will return for its fourth year this Christmas". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Text Santa - The time of year to help those near". Text Santa.
- "Text Santa raises highest-ever total". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Dickinson's Real Deal".
- "The Chase".
- "Celebrity Juice".
- "Text Santa: CITV Special".
- "Thousands turn out for Liverpool Santa dash". ITV News. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- The Biggest Bag Pack Ever! - ASDA and Text Santa - ITV
- "Official Ruth Langsford". Official Ruth Langsford. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Official Eamonn Holmes
- "Text Santa: Bidding for TV history". ITV News.
- "ITV’s star line-up for bigger and better Text Santa". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Morrisons, Santander and Vodafone pledge to Text Santa on ITV". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Text Santa will return for its third year this Christmas 2013". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "'Text Santa' will return to ITV for third series". Digital Spy.
- "ITV2's 'The Big Reunion' cast record Christmas charity single". Digital Spy.
- "Alesha Dixon joins this year's Text Santa as a presenter". Digital Spy.
- "Text Santa Tipping Point special". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Downton Abbey Text Santa special (full video)". itv.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Eames, Tom. "Phillip Schofield to attempt 24-hour TV broadcast for Text Santa". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Phillip Schofield abseils down ITV Tower for Text Santa challenge". Digital Spy.
- "Phillip Schofield starts 24-hour live television broadcast for Text Santa". Digital Spy.