|Birth name||Michael Szewczyk|
|Also known as||The Cobbler|
|Occupation(s)||Disc jockey, record producer|
|Associated acts||Bath, Body Release|
Michael Szewczyk (born 1973), known as DJ Textbeak, is an American DJ, artist and record producer.
DJ Textbeak is known internationally for his varied style of dark and experimental music including remixes for ∆AIMON, Cyanotic, 3Teeth, Architect, among others. In 2016, he was a support act for Modern English.
He is considered influential in the Witch house genre for his early introduction of the movement and exclusive contributions of remixes. He was a contributor to the Zombie Nation song "The Mind of Many."
Textbeak grew up raised by his single mother and grandparents who helped explore his interest in sounds from classical composition to film documentaries and environmental noise. In his early teens, he was able to orchestrate these sounds through modular distortion and sampling.
Forming his sound, Textbeak was musically grouped with and appealed to punk, dark electro, and techno genres. In 1991 he moved to Columbus, Ohio to start the rave group Body Release with Todd Sines, Titonton Duvante (Residual Records) and Charles Noel (Archetype), to tour the United States.
By 1993 Textbeak was known as The Cobbler and signed and released original material through Jevan Records, a goth and industrial label, in what he classified as musically "alien, cerebral, and scary." The group project entitled Bath was nominated for music awards. During this time, he began remixing other acts on the label and befriended artist and poet Lorin Morgan-Richards.
In 2011, Textbeak started his own 2-hour satellite program entitled TXTBK's CHVяCH XV BяXK3N 7ANGvAG3 featuring original and remixed tracks of new witch, experimental, industrial, and electro. In the same year, he was invited to participate in an exhibit entitled Necessary Discomforts, a tribute to Rozz Williams at the Hyaena Gallery. In creating artwork, Textbeak's approach is similar to his filter of music, applying collage samples of visual information into a base of painting and illustration. Textbeak also has produced a large body of digital work.
In 2016, Auxiliary Magazine nominated Textbeak best DJ of the year.
|1998||N-Graver Part Two||Jevan Records|
|2016||Endpoint Fireworshiper||X.O. Skeleton Musick|
|2007||Various Levels of Decay||Vaatican Records|
|2008||False Shit||Amduscias Records|
|2008||Word Vessels||Bleak Netlabel|
|2009||I could be Wrong||Colin Joncho Records|
|2012||Textbeak -N- Tndrond - The Spirit of Opposition||I had An Accident Records|
|2014||Textbeak and Tndrond - Ghost Ornithology||Dark Daze Music/Moon Sounds Records|
|2015||Textbeak, Decohere & Voctave - Tndrond Live 2003||X.O. Skeleton Musick|
|2018||Sick For Songs A Season Eats||Cleopatra Records|
Singles & EPs
|2008||Watching Birds Fall||Vaatican Records|
|2008||Free Tacos and Cat Piss||Swishcotehque|
|2008||Operation Anvil Remixes||Timetheory|
|2008||Solo Patterns with Eric Walker||Lasergun|
|2008||Repeat Repeat Delete||Politicide|
|2008||Four and Twenty Black Birds||Colin Johnco Records|
|2010||Glorious and Sinister||Swishcotheque|
|2012||Amplifii DX||CANS - Label/Collective|
|2015||Like Ghosts||Sequel Sound|
|2011||Covenfvck||Black Lodge Music|
|2011||IKONIK A Mix 4||МИШКА|
|2014||CXB7 #165 Outro||TXTBK's CHVяCH XV BяXK3N 7ANGvAG3|
- Trickey, Erick. "2000 Scene Music Awards | News Lead | Cleveland Scene". Clevescene.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- 11 hours ago (2017-11-15). "Cleopatra Records | Video premiere Textbeak feat. Bestial Mouths, "Blood Storm"". Cleorecs.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "(K)OLLAPS×TEXTBEAK EPISODE 01 | Fragile フラジャイル 大阪". Fragile-osaka.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- /. "Emptiness (Textbeak Remix) | ∆AIMON". Aaimon.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Jim Goose Occasional electronic music contributor. (2015-10-13). "Cyanotic "Cause + Effect" Textbeak Remix Video Premiere –". Post-punk.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Modern English | Nite | Awen | Dj Mike Textbeak | Things to do in Dallas". Timeout.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "TEXTBEAK | I Vacation In Your Hell |Electronic, Outsider Pop, Indie, Shoegaze, Dreampop, Experimental, Ambient, Goth, Alternative Music]". I Vacation In Your Hell. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Stewart, Ian C (2011-08-10). "INTERVIEW with Mike Textbeak | AUTOreverse Independent Music Magazine Review". Autoreversetoinfinity.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Mountain Fighting Records > Textbeak". Mountainfightingrecords.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Catch Everest Theme by (2016-05-22). "1340 – SUBSTANCE". Substancemode.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Associated Press (2012-10-18). "'Heather in Wonderland' rave at Cleveland's Exquisite Night Club". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Rozycki, David (2014-09-30). "Upcoming: Cheetah Chrome, Gene Watson, Night Ranger, Rosanne Cash, Skatestock III, etc". Houston Press. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- document.write(date_dayname); (2013-11-12). "Parallel || Planets: Mike Textbeak: Waving the Gucci Goth Flag High". Parallelplanets.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Mike Textbeak". ArtSlant. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Auxiliary Magazine (2016-12-28). "Vote for the Best in Alternative Culture and Subculture of 2016". Auxiliary Magazine. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "GHOST ORNITHOLOGY | Moon Sounds Records". Moonsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Textbeak / Eric Walker (8) - Solo Patterns / E.L.A. (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2008-01-08. Retrieved 2018-02-22.