Textile (markup language)
Textile is a lightweight markup language originally developed by Dean Allen for use in the Textpattern CMS and billed as a "humane web text generator". Textile converts its marked-up text input to valid, well-formed XHTML and also inserts character entity references for apostrophes, opening and closing single and double quotation marks, ellipses and em dashes.
- Version 2.0 beta was released in 2004 as part of the Textpattern content management system.
- Version 2.0 was released in 2006.
- Version 2.2 was subsequently released on September 22, 2010.
- Version 2.4 was released on May 5, 2012.
Textile syntax examples
This is not an exhaustive listing of Textile's syntax. For a list of all available options in Textile 2, see
- a full reference and example list of Textile v2.0,
- PHP-Textile v3.5.5 documentation with real-time conversion.
* An item in a bulleted (unordered) list * Another item in a bulleted list ** Second Level ** Second Level Items *** Third level
# An item in an enumerated (ordered) list xxxxxxx # Another item in an enumerated list yyyyyy ## Another level in an enumerated list vvvvvvvv
#8 Enumerated list, starting by number eight # List item No. 9 Some text paragraph #_ Continuing list item, numbered as 10 # Item 11
* This is a bullet *# this is the start of an enumerated list within a bulleted list *# this is another item list of an enumerated list within a bulleted list **# this is another level of an enumerated list within a bulleted list * This is another bullet
; Definition list term : Definition list data item : Another data item
- coffee := Hot _and_ black - tea := Also hot, but a little less black - milk := Nourishing beverage for baby cows. Cold drink that goes great with cookies. =:
_emphasized_ (i.e., italics)
*strongly emphasized* (i.e., boldface)
A pipe character must be at the beginning and end of every row.
|_. column name1(aaa) |_. column name2 |_. column name3 | | laura | 111 | Cell 3 | | Manuel | Vasquez | Cell 3 |
In this example, the "|_." sequence causes the entry to be in bold. There must be no space after the initial pipe character.
@your code here@
Blocks of code:
bc.. puts "This style (notice the double dot) handles blank lines." puts "This is the second line of code." puts "This is the fourth."
End the block with p. or with another block tag.
Or alternatively you can use this syntax for small blocks:
bc. puts "This style (notice the single dot) stops at the first blank line." puts "This is the second line of code." This is not code.
You must leave a blank line after each heading.
h1(#id). An HTML first-level heading h2. An HTML second-level heading h3. An HTML third-level heading h4. An HTML fourth-level heading h5. An HTML fifth-level heading h6. An HTML sixth-level heading
bq. This text will be enclosed in an HTML blockquote element.
Text with a link to some reference fn1. Footnote explanation
Text with a link to some reference[#mylabel] notelist. note#mylabel Explanation as an auto-numbered endnote
"(classname)link text(title tooltip)":link_address
"(classname)link text(title tooltip)":mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- 37signals (Basecamp Classic)
- Atlassian (JIRA)
- Know Your Meme
- Qt official forums
- SUSE Studio
- Jekyll (software)
- Guild Wars 2 official forums
- Comparison of document markup languages
- Textpattern, a content-management system, also originally by Dean Allen, which uses Textile.
- Comparison of notetaking software
- Comparison of documentation generators
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (July 2013)|
- TxStyle, Textile 2.4 reference for Textpattern CMS
- Textile2 Manual, for Movable Type CMS
- hobix.com Textile Reference, an example-based Textile reference.
- Xilize, a superset of Textile for generating webpages, documents, and websites with any plain-text editor (plugin for jEdit available). Opensource.
- PHP-Textile, an implementation of Textile in PHP; Used by Textpattern