March 20, 1848|
|Died||February 6, 1915
He was a student of Gustave Boulanger and Jean-Léon Gérôme at École des Beaux-Arts. Theophile Francois Henri Poilpot, the noted military painter and a Commandeur of the Legion of Honour since 1913. His paintings are prime examples of academic art of the time, particularly history painting. He was born and lived all his life in Paris.
Theophile Poilpot had received many honors and decorations, among them being the Military Medal and the appointment as a Chevalier of the Order of St. Anna of Russia. He was the son of the late Theophile Poilpot, himself a famous painter. M. Poilpot saw service in the Franco-Prussian War as a Sergeant of the First Volunteer Regiment of the Seine and in 1874 was retired as an officer of the reserves. He was a former Mayor of Noisy-le-Grand (1887–1892) and had been an Alderman and a Cantonal Delegate. Among the societies to which he belonged were the Society of French Artists; the Committee of the Association of Artists, Painters, Sculptors, Architects, and Engravers; the Artistic and Literary Association and the Military Circle of the Friends of the Louvre.
Theophile Poilpot did not confine himself to French subjects, and several of his best known paintings are owned in the US, among which are ‘‘Bull Run’’, in Washington, D.C., and the ‘‘Merrimac and Monitor’’. Others of his pictures, are the ‘‘Battle of Jena’’, now in Paris, the ‘‘Crowning of Emperor Alexander III’’, in Moscow, the panorama of the ‘‘Battle of Balaklava’’, now in London, the ‘‘Transatlantic Panorama’’, which was shown at the Universal Exposition in 1889, the ‘‘Algerian Panorama’’, shown at the Paris. Exposition of 1900, and the famous ‘‘Panorama of the Revolution and the Empire’’, now in Paris.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Théophile Poilpot.|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)|
- Figures contemporaines, tirées de l'album Mariani, 1901, (Bibliothèque nationale de France)
- Archives nationales (culture.gouv.fr)
- Bibliothèque nationale de France (gallica.bnf.fr)
- Noisy le Grand, L'ACTUALITÉ
- Nos peintres et sculpteurs, graveurs, dessinateurs. Jules Martin. 1897. p.305
- Revue illustrée (Paris. 1885)
- Célébrités-France-19e siècle-Biographies
- Commandeur of the Legion of Honour since 1913 (gallica.bnf.fr)
- Salon de 1874
- Salon de 1875
- Salon de 1876
- Salon de 1877
- THEOPHILE POILPOT DEAD, The New York Times, February 7, 1915 (pdf)