Thérèse Desqueyroux (2012 film)
|Directed by||Claude Miller|
|Produced by||Yves Marmion|
|Written by||François Mauriac|
|Cinematography||Gérard de Battista|
|Distributed by||UGC (France)
Thérèse Desqueyroux is a 2012 French drama film directed by Claude Miller. It is an adaption of the François Mauriac novel of the same name, first published in 1927. The last work of Claude Miller, who died in April 2012, this film closed the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, where it was screened in competition for the Palme d'Or.
In the south-west of France, in the late 1920s, Thérèse Laroque agrees to a marriage of convenience between wealthy families by marrying Bernard Desqueyroux, a bourgeois landowner. They then settle on his family's property, located in a vast area stretching over acres of pine forests. Bernard is a local man with a passion for hunting and defending with conviction the family traditions. However, Thérèse is quickly stifled by the monotony of her married life. She gives birth to a daughter (Marie), but her boredom seems to grow every day; she is looking "somewhere else". Bernard suffers from an unspecified condition for which he is prescribed arsenic. Thérèse takes the opportunity to attempt to poison her husband, but in forging a prescription, she is discovered. In addition to being dishonored by her own family, she is disowned by her husband's. She faces justice for the alleged murder attempt until her husband and in-laws, who intend to keep up appearances within their provincial society, make up their own version of what happened. The case is dismissed and Therese is confined to the house. Eventually she is allowed to leave and live in Paris on the understanding that she will only return for weddings and funerals.
- Audrey Tautou as Thérèse Desqueyroux
- Gilles Lellouche as Bernard Desqueyroux
- Anaïs Demoustier as Anne de la Trave
- Catherine Arditi as Madame de la Trave
- Isabelle Sadoyan as Aunt Clara
- Stanley Weber as Jean Azevedo
- Francis Perrin as Monsieur Larroque
- Yves Jacques as Lawyer
- Alba Gaïa Kraghede Bellugi as Therese Larroque
- "Thérèse Desqueyroux (2012)". JP' Box-Office. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "2012 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- Shoard, Catherine (19 April 2012). "Cannes 2012: Haneke v Audiard, but no shows from Malick or PT Anderson". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "Claude Miller’s last film to close the Festival de Cannes". 2012-04-18.