Tha Carter V
|Tha Carter V|
|Studio album by Lil Wayne|
|Recorded||2011 - 2014|
|Lil Wayne chronology|
|Singles from Tha Carter V|
Tha Carter V is the upcoming twelfth studio album by American rapper Lil Wayne. The album is scheduled to be released by Young Money Entertainment and Republic Records. Due to various disputes and issues with Cash Money, the album has featured many delays and uncertainty about its release, though as of February 2017, Cash Money CEO has announced that the album is scheduled for release sometime in 2017.
In November 2012, Lil Wayne announced Tha Carter V would be his final album, who he previously stated he would retire at the age of 35; he explained that he had four kids and he "would feel selfish still going to the studio when it's such a vital point in their lives". In April 2014, Wayne addressed his Carter V release: "I personally plan on this being my final solo album, yes, and it's definitely the final Carter album. It's the final Carter album. It's stopping at five. I didn't smile when I said it...I plan on it being my final solo album. Whenever I have to pitch in for a Young Money album, a Like Father, Like Son album and something like that and maybe something out the blue, but the way I'm working on this album, it's to me, the way it seems like now, it seems like it'll be impossible for me to work this hard again for anything else."
In May 2014, when asked about Tha Carter V, Lil Wayne said the album is all about "growth" and that his music is "supposed to be personal": "Tha Carter V is about growth, flat-out. My thoughts are wiser. I still say what I want to say—it just sounds better and makes more sense. That all comes with growth and maturity. I never try to send messages through music. Music is about self. It's supposed to be personal, a reflection of me, unless you have somebody writing it for you, and everybody know I'm not that artist. I'm not sending a message because that message may not get across. Whatever message you take from it is your choice."
In July 2014, in an interview with XXL, he spoke about the album, saying: "I was feeling the success of Tha Carter I. I felt like people wanted to hear me. I was amped to do that, but then Tha Carter III? I don't know what happened. It was amazing. And then Tha Carter IV was just unexplainable, and now this one here, there's no words. I just hope everyone likes it. I'm always feeling like I ain't done shit. I'm still nervous about Tha Carter V...But I'm confident about what I do, though I'm still nervous about what people think."
Recording and production
In May 2014, Lil Wayne's longtime record producer, former Cash Money artist Mannie Fresh, announced he would be reuniting with Wayne on Tha Carter V. The collaboration marks the first time in 10 years that Fresh and Wayne worked together, not since 2004, when Wayne released Tha Carter and Fresh subsequently severed ties with the Cash Money Records. Also in May 2014, Atlanta-based rapper and producer Soulja Boy, who previously produced "Wowzerz" from I Am Not a Human Being II (2013) for Lil Wayne, announced he was working with Wayne on the fifth installment of Tha Carter series. In June 2014, Atlanta-based record producer Mike Will Made It, revealed "I got three records with Lil Wayne for Tha Carter V". In July 2014, Lil Wayne's frequent collaborator DVLP, confirmed he produced songs for Tha Carter V. While on the red carpet of the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards in California on August 24, West Coast hip hop producer DJ Mustard, confirmed to MTV that Lil Wayne will be rapping over one of his beats on the album.
Release and promotion
In July 2012, Lil Wayne has said the album would be released in 2013. On February 10, 2014, Lil Wayne's Young Money signee, Canadian recording artist Drake, tweeted "CARTER V". On October 18, 2013, Cash Money Records' Vice President of Promotion Mel Smith, tweeted: "Happy Friday!! New YMCMB music coming soon!! Carter 5." On February 15, 2014, during the NBA All-Star Weekend festivities at Sprite's NBA All-Star concert at the House of Blues in New Orleans, Lil Wayne appeared as a special guest during Drake's set and performed various hits. Wayne and Drake then broke the news that Tha Carter V is set to be released on May 5, 2014. On March 27, 2014, Wayne's manager Cortez Bryant, would announce that the album had been delayed.
On April 28, 2014, Los Angeles Lakers basketball player Kobe Bryant revealed what some speculated would be Tha Carter V album cover, via online photo-sharing and social networking service Instagram. Talking with ESPN, Wayne spoke about using athletes to promote the album, such as Kobe Bryant: "'Carter V Season' was all Kobe," Lil Wayne said when asked about Bryant's contribution. "He came up with it. I saw that and thought, 'That's dope as hell,' so that's what we're calling the [album] campaign. I thanked him. Then we thought about Floyd." In July 2014, in an interview with MTV News, Wayne spoke about when the album would be released, saying: "I'm so not good with that. I think it drops either in September and then we have…ah I can't tell you the sneak thing. Anyway, yeah, I think it drops in September or August."
From August to September 2014, Lil Wayne embarked on a concert tour alongside Drake, billed Drake Vs. Lil Wayne. On August 14, 2014, Lil Wayne appeared on ESPN's First Take, where he unveiled the cover art for Tha Carter V, which features Wayne's mother: "It's perfect," Wayne said. "I always go with a baby picture. I wanted to go with one with my mama this time...To have my mom on there is more than an accomplishment. It's an achievement." During the ESPN interview, Wayne also announced that the album would be released on October 28, 2014. On October 28, 2014, Wayne released a Public Service Announcement (PSA), where he revealed the album was delayed due to the album's tentative track list having over 31 songs. During the PSA, he stated that he worked too hard and refuses to cheat his fans and himself, therefore he came up with a way to give his fans every song he has recorded for the album, announcing: "the first part of the Carter V album will be dropping December 9. Stay tuned for the next part of the album".
On December 4, 2014, just five days before the album was due to be released, Wayne issued a statement saying the album would not be released on its expected release date, due to his displeasure with Cash Money Records label-boss Birdman, not wanting to release the album although it had been completed. Wayne also expressed his feelings by stating he felt both he and his creativity were being held "prisoner". On January 20, 2015, Wayne self-released Sorry 4 the Wait 2, a mixtape to compensate for the continued delay of Tha Carter V. It is the sequel to 2011's Sorry 4 the Wait, which served for the same purpose during the delay of his ninth album, Tha Carter IV (2011). Upon Sorry for the Wait 2's release, it was noted Wayne disses Birdman and Cash Money Records, several times throughout the mixtape. Birdman was reported to be upset with this.
Despite his legal battle with Cash Money, Lil Wayne claims to have authority over when and how the album gets released. He spoke in an interview, stating: "Of course you’re going to see Tha Carter V. I just don’t want to put it out the wrong way. Honestly, I can do what I want at any time. The fans deserve it to be right and that’s how it’s gonna be. I’ma make sure it’s right. I can drop whatever I want to drop. That’s why I keep dropping whatever I want to drop. But I’m not gonna give them Carter V the wrong way."
|1.||"Better Get 'Em"||Dwayne Carter, Jr.|
|2.||"Start This Shit Off Right" (featuring Mannie Fresh)||Carter Jr.|
|3.||"Light Up" (featuring Justin Timberlake)||Carter Jr.|
|4.||"Believe Me" (featuring Drake)||Carter Jr., Aubrey Graham, Anderson Hernandez, Matthew Samuels||Vinylz, Boi-1da||5:37|
|5.||"Open Safe"||Carter, Jr.||DJ Mustard|
|6.||"Take It Slow"||Carter, Jr.|
|7.||"Mute" (featuring Big Sean)||Carter, Jr., Sean Anderson|
|8.||"Start A Fire" (featuring Christina Milian)||Carter, Jr.||3:55|
|9.||"Famous" (featuring Reginae Carter)||Carter, Jr.|
|10.||"Mona Lisa" (featuring Kendrick Lamar)||Carter, Jr., Kendrick Duckworth|
|11.||"Moral to the Story"||Carter, Jr.|
|12.||"Sin/Sip" (featuring 2 Chainz)||Carter, Jr., Tauheed Epps|
|13.||"Scottie Pippen"||Carter, Jr.|
|14.||"Life of Mr. Carter"||Carter, Jr.|
|15.||"St. Louis"||Carter, Jr.|
|1.||"She Said Better Get 'Em"||Carter Jr.|
|2.||"Gotti" (featuring The Lox)||Carter, Jr., Jason Phillips, David Styles, Sean Jacobs||4:41|
|3.||"Grindin'" (featuring Drake)||Carter, Jr.||4:07|
|5.||"Just Chill" (featuring Justin Bieber)||Carter, Jr., Justin Bieber|
|6.||"If I Don't She's Mine"||Carter, Jr.|
|7.||"Shake It"||Carter, Jr.|
|9.||"Form Good"||Carter, Jr.|
|10.||"Good Poison" (featuring Mikky Ekko)||Carter, Jr., John Sudduth|
|11.||"No Brainer" (featuring Flow)||Carter, Jr.|
|12.||"Never Really Mattered" (featuring Nicki Minaj)||Carter, Jr., Onika Maraj|
|13.||"Brad Pitt" (featuring B.o.B)||Carter, Jr., Bobby Simmons, Jr.|
|14.||"Mano y Mano" (featuring Gudda Gudda)||Carter, Jr., Carl Lilly|
|15.||"Murda" (featuring Flow)||Carter, Jr.|
|16.||"Let It All Work Out"||Carter, Jr.|
- "Birdman Claims Lil Wayne's 'Tha Carter V' Album Is Dropping This Year - XXL".
- "Lil Wayne: Tha Carter V Is 'My Last Album'". MTV. 2012-11-21. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- HipHopDX. "Lil Wayne Says He Will Retire After Releasing "Tha Carter V" - Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales - HipHop DX". HipHopDX. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Martinez, Angie (March 29, 2011). "Weezy's first radio interview". Lil Wayne on the Angie Martinez show [video]. Hot 97. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- HipHopDX. "Lil Wayne & Kobe Bryant Promote "Tha Carter V"". HipHopDX. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- HipHopDX. "Lil Wayne Says "Tha Carter V" Will "Sound Better" & "Make More Sense" Than Past Projects". HipHopDX. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "XXL's New Issue Features Lil Wayne On The Cover - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-07-31. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Mannie Fresh Confirms He's Working On Lil Wayne's 'Carter V' - XXL". XXL. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Mannie Fresh confirms he is working on Lil Wayne's 'Tha Carter V'". Music Times. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Rose Lilah. "Soulja Boy Reveals He's Working With Lil Wayne On". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Rose Lilah. "Mike WiLL Made It Reveals He Did Three Records For Lil Wayne's". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Acevedo, Kai (14 July 2014). "Life + Times Check The Credits: DVLP Speaks On Producing for Eminem, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, and More". Life and Times. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "DJ Mustard Confirms He Has Production On Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter V" Album". Lil Wayne Fansite - Weezy Blog. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Martin, Andrew (2012-07-05). "Lil Wayne Hints At 2013 Release For "Tha Carter V"". Complex. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Dharmic X (2014-02-10). "Drake Tweets "CARTER V," Offers No Further Information About The Album". Complex. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Lil Wayne's 'Carter 5' May Drop Sooner Than You Think". MissInfo.tv. 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Dharmic X (2014-02-15). "Drake Announces a Release Date For Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter V"". Complex. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Danielle Harling (2014-03-27). "Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter V" Not Dropping May 5". Hiphopdx.com. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Ortiz, Edwin (2014-03-27). "Lil Wayne's Manager Cortez Bryant Says "Tha Carter V" Will Not Be Released on May 5". Complex. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Kobe Bryant promotes Lil Wayne's new album, Tha Carter V - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "AllHipHop » Lil Wayne Talks Working With Kobe Bryant & Floyd Mayweather For "Carter V" Rollout". AllHipHop. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Did Lil Wayne Just Announce Tha Carter V Release Date? We're Confused". MTV. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Review: Drake vs. Lil Wayne Tour thrills fans". Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Drake vs. Lil Wayne Tour Ends, YMCMB Hints at Tour Next Year Following New Albums 'Views From The 6,' 'Tha Carter V'". Music Times. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- HipHopDX. "Lil Wayne "Tha Carter V" Release Pushed Back". HipHopDX. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Emmanuel C.M. "Lil Wayne's New Album 'Tha Carter V' Will Drop On October 28 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Lil Wayne Carter V P.S.A & New Song Gotti Featuring The Lox". Young Money. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Lil Wayne Delivers P.S.A. About The Delay Of". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Lil Wayne To Drop 'Tha Carter V' (Part 1) On December 9 - XXL". XXL. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- HipHopDX. "Lil Wayne "Tha Carter V" Release Pushed Back". HipHopDX. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Grow, Kory (December 4, 2014). "Lil Wayne Blasts Cash Money: 'I Want Off This Label'". Rolling Stone. United States: rollingstone.com. Wenner Media LLC. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Ramirez, Erika (December 4, 2014). "Lil Wayne: Birdman & Cash Money Records 'Refuse to Release' 'Tha Carter V'". Billboard. United States: billboard.com. Prometheus Media Group. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Minsker, Evan. "Lil Wayne Drops Sorry 4 the Wait 2". Pitchfork. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Regan, Helen. "Lil Wayne Just Dropped His New Mixtape Sorry 4 the Wait 2". Time. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Lil Wayne Disses Cash Money On "Sorry 4 The Wait 2"". HipHopDX. 21 January 2015.
- Rose Lilah (26 January 2015). "Shots Fired: All The Disses Aimed At Birdman & Cash Money On Lil Wayne's "Sorry 4 The Wait 2"". HotNewHipHop.
- Chris Rogers. "Lil Wayne’s Mixtape: He Disses Birdman & Cash Money Records On ‘Sorry 4 The Wait 2′ - Hollywood Life". Hollywood Life.
- "Report: Birdman Upset With Lil Wayne Over Cash Money Diss Song". BET.com. 23 January 2015.
- "Martin Shkreli Claims He's Acquired Lil Wayne's 'Tha Carter V,' Plays Alleged Music Off Album". Complex. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- "Lil Wayne Says He Can Drop 'Tha Carter V' at Any Time - XXL". XXL Magazine. Retrieved 2017-08-20.