Thaayillamal Naan Illai
|Thaayillamal Naan Illai|
|Directed by||R. Thyagarajan|
|Produced by||C. Thandayuthapani|
|Story by||Sandow M. M. A. Chinnappa Thevar|
|Cinematography||P. N. Sundaram|
|Edited by||M. G. Balu Rao|
Thaayillamal Naan Illai (transl. I cannot live without my mother) is a 1979 Tamil language film starring Kamal Haasan, Sridevi, Major Sundarrajan and Jai Ganesh in the lead roles with Rajnikanth and Nagesh in guest roles. The movie was a super hit at the box office and it was dubbed into Telugu as Paatagaadu and Hindi as Aakhri Sangram.
Raja (Kamal Haasan), the son of a poor and widowed washerwoman, is well-talented in the arts from his childhood. Thengai Srinivasan who runs a drama troupe is impressed with Raja's talent and enlists him in this troupe and Raja's mother travels with the troupe as well. While performing in a zameen with the troupe, Raja meets and falls in love with the zamindar's pretty daughter Bhuvana (Sridevi) and they engage in a secretive romance assisted by Bhuvana's pet peacock named Vadivelan. When the zamindar (Major Sundarrajan) becomes aware of their relationship, he agrees to get them only married only if Raja cuts all ties with his mother, considering her poor status. Raja expectedly refuses and unable to convince her adamant father, Bhuvana elopes with Raja and joins the troupe as well. This enrages the zamindar's villainous nephew Mohan (Jai Ganesh), who had been eyeing the zameen's ownership by marrying Bhuvana. Whether Raja and Bhuvana are able to thwart the odds against them form the rest of the story.
- Kamal Haasan as Raja
- Sridevi as Bhuvana
- Rajnikanth as 'Pichuva' Pakkiri (Special appearance)
- Nagesh as Mannargudi Minor (Special appearance)
- Jai Ganesh as Mohanasundaram
- Major Sundarrajan as Jameen
- Thengai Srinivasan as Master of Drama
- Sukumari as Sivagami
- Madhu Malini as Jaya
- Suruli Rajan as Sigamani
- Sachu as Servant
- V. Gopalakrishnan as Village people
- Y. G. Mahendra as Drama artist
- Idachappuli Selvaraj as Drama artist
- Typist Gopu as Karkoda
- Pakoda Kadhar as Kadhar
|Thaayillamal Naan Illai|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Vadivelan Manasu Vachaan"||Kannadasan||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela||3:41|
|2.||"Nadiganin Kaadhali"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:56|
|3.||"Vanakkam Vanakkam" (Naveena Allidurbar Natakam)||Vaali||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela, S. C. Krishnan & Chorus||5:48|
|4.||"Eena Meena"||Vaali||P. Susheela||3:33|
|5.||"Podi Vaikkiren"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:09|
The film ran for over 200 days in theatres.
- Ramachandran 2012, p. 90.
- Narayanan, Sujatha (28 July 2019). "Thamizh Talkies: Melodies that matter". Cinema Express. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Thai Illamal Naan Illai". Raaga.com. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Selvaraj, N. (20 March 2017). "வெள்ளி விழா கண்ட தமிழ் திரைப்படங்கள்". Thinnai. Archived from the original on 29 March 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- Ramachandran, Naman (2012). Rajinikanth: The Definitive Biography. Penguin Books. ISBN 978-81-8475-796-5.