Thackeray Hall at the University of Pittsburgh
|Area||Schenley Farms Historic District|
|Architectural style||Early Classical|
|Governing body||University of Pittsburgh|
|Part of||Schenley Farms Historic District (#83002213)|
|Added to NRHP||July 22, 1983|
Thackeray Hall is an academic building of the University of Pittsburgh and a contributing property to the Schenley Farms National Historic District at 139 University Place on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
Thackeray Hall houses Pitt's Department of Mathematics. Previously, it housed the Mathematics Library in room 430, whose collection is now located in the Bevier Engineering Library of Benedum Hall. On the ground floor are many university student services: class registration, tuition billing, and transcripts, as well as housing the Advising Center of the School of Arts and Sciences on the second floor.
The building is the former National Union Fire Insurance Company building built circa 1923-1925 in the Early Classical style. The building was purchased by the University in 1968 for $1,875,000 ($12.7 million in 2015 dollars), and was originally purposed for faculty offices. It was known as the Social Sciences Building until 1972 when it was renamed Mervis Hall and designated as the home of the Graduate School of Business. In 1983, when the Graduate School of Business moved into a new building also named Mervis Hall, it was renamed Thackeray Hall.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "University Library System: Mathematics Library". University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Department of Mathematics - Mathematics Library". University of Pittsburgh. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Kideny, Walter C. Pittsburgh's Landmark Architecture: The Historic Buildings of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, 1997, pg. 351
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission Cultural Resources Database: National Union Fire Insurance Company, Philadelphia Architects and Buildings, Philadelphiabuildings.org
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2014. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Pitt Buys Building For Faculty". The Pittsburgh Press. 1968-07-03. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- Thackeray Hall on Pitt's virtual Campus Tour
- Department of Mathematics
- School of Arts & Sciences Advising
|University of Pittsburgh Buildings
University Place Office Building