Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler
|Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler|
December 21, 1842|
Middletown, New York
|Known for||panoramic/pictorial maps|
Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler, often credited as T.M. Fowler, (1842-1922) was an American cartographer. He is best known for his work on panoramic maps. A large portion of his work focused around Pennsylvania. He is considered the most prolific maker of Pennsylvania panoramas of the mid 19th-century.
Fowler was born in Lowell, Massachusetts. He was a soldier in the United States Civil War. He was injured during battle. He worked for his uncle who was a photographer. Fowler lived in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania and Shamokin, Pennsylvania from 1881 until 1885. He also lived in Trenton, New Jersey. In 1885 he moved to Morrisville, Pennsylvania. He lived in Morrisville, where his business was located, until 1910.
Fowler started his own business as a cartographer focusing on panoramic maps. His photographer uncle would also work for the firm. The firm was located in Madison, Wisconsin. He made maps for Canada and 21 different United States states.
The Library of Congress maintains an extensive collection of his works, the largest collection of panoramic maps in the library's collection.  His work is also held in the collection of Pennsylvania State University, Yale University, and the Boston Public Library.
- "Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler (1842-1922)". American Panoramic Artists and Publishers. Library of Congress. June 20, 1997.
- Clark, John O.E. (Oct 28, 2005). 100 Maps: The Science, Art and Politics of Cartography Throughout History. Sterling Publishing Company, Inc. pp. 72–73. ISBN 9781402728853.
- "Homestead, Pennsylvania, 1902". World Digital Library. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler Panoramic Town View Lithographs (4867)". Historical Collections and Labor Archives, Special Collections Library. Pennsylvania State University. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1902". World Digital Library. 1902. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Fowler, Thaddeus M. "Fort Reno, Oklahoma Territory. 1891". Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Yale University. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Fowler, Thaddeus M. "Bird's eye view of Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey". Norman B. Leventhal Map Center. Boston Public Library. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler.|