Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Created by||Thai wiki community|
|Thai edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
The Thai Wikipedia (Thai: วิกิพีเดียภาษาไทย) is the edition of Wikipedia in the Thai language started on December 25, 2003. As of July 13, 2012, it has more than 74,561 articles with 145,919 registered users. As of October 2007, Wikipedia (all languages combined) was ranked 26th in Alexa Top Sites Thailand.
On January 31, 2006 Thai Wikipedia was first recognized along with English Wikipedia by a press coverage. In 2007 there is a thesis under the name Thai Wikipedia and Communicating Knowledge to the Public by a graduate student from the Faculty of Fine and Applied Arts, Chulalongkorn University.
Thai Wikipedia is the second online encyclopedia in the Thai language after the Thai Junior Encyclopedia Project, which was developed under the patronage of the King of Thailand, Bhumibol Adulyadej.
- 25 December 2003: The Thai main page created after first created on 16 March 2003 with the word "Describe the new page here."
- 27 December 2003: The first article created containing only one word "ดาราศาสตร์" (astronomy) and 32 interwiki links. After that it became a stub on 31 May.
- 28 February 2004: The real first article created, Computer science.
- 21 April 2004: 100 articles, Time & Time Travel (a fiction).
- 17 August 2004: 500 articles, Grevillea
- 10 March 2005: 1,000 articles, Harry Potter.
- 1 May 2005: The first featured article, Fractal.
- September 2005: More than 30 university students registered and wrote articles as their homework.
- 28 October 2005: 5,000 articles, Judge Bao.
- 31 January 2006: Press coverage in onopen.com
- 14 March 2006: 10,000 articles, Pennsylvania State University.
- 16 March 2007: 20,000 articles, Aries Mu.
- 10 December 2007: 30,000 articles, Andy Lau.
- 26 October 2008: 40,000 articles, Bamboo Blade.
- 4 September 2009: 50,000 articles, Nanda (Buddhist).
- 30 January 2016: 100,000 articles, 1940s.